Mary Coughlan performance as Employment Minister

Another question worth asking is what did the DAA pay for the hanger and on what terms did it lease it to Aer Lingus as I don't understand why Aer Lingus would pay for hanger of that size that is purpose built for heavy aircraft maintenance to do general line maintenance. It doesn't make any commercial sense.

There is something wrong with the whole story from both sides.

It will be a cold day in hell before Michael O'Leary gives a hoot about 300 jobs in Ireland or anywhere else.

Thats crap. You may not like him or respect him but he built up that company from nothing creating thousands of jobs along the way. Of course he wants the best deal for the company. Thats his job and is no different to any other employer

Thats crap. You may not like him or respect him but he built up that company from nothing creating thousands of jobs along the way. Of course he wants the best deal for the company. Thats his job and is no different to any other employer

+1

Michael O'Leary the big bad bogeyman who has done nothing for this country and whose planes are fuelled by liquidised babies :rolleyes:

I do like Michael O'Leary and admire him for doing what he has done with Ryanair but to claim that wanting the hangar is about anything other than profit for Ryanair is laughable.

I do like Michael O'Leary and admire him for doing what he has done with Ryanair but to claim that wanting the hangar is about anything other than profit for Ryanair is laughable.

Of course he wants profit for Ryanair. Who claims that isn't what he wants. There is no law that says he can't make a profit and create 300 jobs at the same time.

You're putting words in my mouth/post there Sunny. I never said that there is any law against making a profit.

But lets not pretend that O'Leary wants to create 300 jobs - he wants to make a profit.

He is merely using the media in an attempt to bully the government and the DAA

If he was serious about creating the 300 jobs then why not take up the government offer of a new custom-built hangar, the building of which will also create jobs incidentally.

You're putting words in my mouth/post there Sunny. I never said that there is any law against making a profit.

But lets not pretend that O'Leary wants to create 300 jobs - he wants to make a profit.

He is merely using the media in an attempt to bully the government and the DAA

If he was serious about creating the 300 jobs then why not take up the government offer of a new custom-built hangar, the building of which will also create jobs incidentally.

Intel only want to make a profit but we would bow at their feet if they announced 300 jobs are to be created.

Like I say, something doesn't sound right in the whole saga. Ryanair are correct to ask why is a semi state company offering to build a whole new facility using taxpayers money when another facility is in place but is not being utilised by a company that the State also owns a large stake in.

The fact that he gets to have a go at the Government, DAA and Aer Lingus is an added bonus for O'Leary.

Any business who invests to create jobs will fail. If they invest to create profit and that happens then the jobs will follow. Basically jobs are a by-product.

Intel only want to make a profit but we would bow at their feet if they announced 300 jobs are to be created.

When did Intel run to the press to ask for a competitor to be chucked out of a legally-leased building without first consulting with the landlord because they don't on with them?

The whole thing smacks of cheap PR by O'Leary.

The terms of the arrangement between the DAA and Aer Lingus need to be made public. Something is not right about the whole thing. There is no way that Aer Lingus is leasing that hanger on commercial terms.

I'm wondering this myself.

If Ryanair wanted the hangar so badly then why not enter into discussions with the landlords, the DAA?

The letter from Mary Coughlan to Ryanair would indicate that they thought this was a good idea too.

It's getting clearer Hangar 6 would have been a terminal. This is, according to a Labour spokeman (Tommy Bruen?) on Morning Ireland, what everyone up in the airport thinks (fears more likely).

It's perfectly placed as a terminal, probably just need buses to get people to the planes.

If Ryanair could open a terminal there a couple years down the line, then they could easily absorb the higher costs of operating here for maintenance. Even if they eventually moved that maintenance away from Hangar 6. RA could easily guarantee hundreds of maintenance jobs if they could get the low cost terminal, since the terminal savings would dwarf the maintenance salaries.

I'd guess the hangar could be turned into a terminal for a few 10s of millions, so it would pay for itself within years and possibly just months. Quicker than the intergenerational costs of T2 at least.

So Ryanair's side is pretty easy to understand. Probably would even admit if directly asked especially now that the game is almost over.

The DAA's (+FF) defensive move is also simple, they've no chance of T2 paying for itself if Ryanair avoids most of their charges. They'd prefer Hangar 6 knocked down than used by Ryanair.

What's not so clear is why Aer Lingus are playing along with the DAA as if they were still both tied at the semi-state hip. My guess is the DAA are effectively paying them to use the hangar (e.g. offering them a cheaper rent for hangar 6 than for the smaller hangar they moved from).

He offered to have clauses inserted that stopped the hangar being used as a terminal if that's what people feared. I don't really buy that argument. Unlikely that planning permission would ever be granted for a third terminal anyway.

It's getting clearer Hangar 6 would have been a terminal.

This is only a rumour put about by someone with a vested interest in the status quo. DAA could have included a clause in the lease stating that the hangar could not be used as a terminal.

This is all about the unions who dominate Aer Lingus/DAA. The unions do not want those former members in SRT to go over the fence to be employed by non-union Ryanair. Aer Lingus/DAA/Government will put out all sorts of rumours about Ryanair's motives.

It's a disgrace.

This is only a rumour put about by someone with a vested interest in the status quo. DAA could have included a clause in the lease stating that the hangar could not be used as a terminal.

This is all about the unions who dominate Aer Lingus/DAA. The unions do not want those former members in SRT to go over the fence to be employed by non-union Ryanair. Aer Lingus/DAA/Government will put out all sorts of rumours about Ryanair's motives.

It's a disgrace.
Sounds closer to the truth.

If Ryanair wanted the hangar so badly then ................

You dont seem to understand, Ryanair can pick almost anywhere in Europe for a service location.

Given that most of their planes are based in mainland Europe, it is far from obvious that Ireland is the best location for this facility !

With regard to H6 & why pick it : would you all please recall that Mr O'Leary has from time to time considered a long haul operation. If this were to progress then he will need a maintenance hangar able to cope with wide body aircraft. H6 fits the bill.

Rgds

Olddog

P.S. Did I read somewhere that RYR get their donkeys refurbed in Isreal ?

Presumably if Ryanair went long-haul, somewhere near Standsted would make more sense?

olddog - the question of why O'Leary didn't attempt to enter negotiations with the DAA instead of running to the press still hasn't been answered.

And also I don't see how you post answered my query in the first place.

Back