Mars Capital offering me a fixed rate of 4.7% for 12 months (former EBS mortgage)

Stevie1der

Hi looking for advice per below;

Currently mortgage loan is with Mars Capital, they recently contacted me to advise they can "seek credit approval to stabilise the rate at 4.7% for a period of 12 months, after which it will roll on the SVR applicable at that time" (my mortgage provider was originally EBS, who sold loan to Mars in 2021).

All outstanding arrears were paid off in September 2022 and the monthly payments have been kept up to date since, with no new arrears. I suspect previous variable rates may have been higher than former lender, would need to check this. There is currently 8.5 years left on loan.

I think I read rates should be as offered by previous mortgage provider, I have checked EBS website and fixed rate for existing clients states, 4.55%, variable 4.15%. With this point in mind, should they (Mars) have been charging me 4.15% anyway as a variable rate customer and secondly should they be offering me 4.55% fixed rate in line with EBS's current fixed rate, furthermore should they have been charging me older rates in line with EBS? I am only aware of this point more recently (rates should be as offered by previous mortgage provider)

I am skeptical at them offering me a fixed rate wondering what the catch is and have asked that question with them on two occasions, reply was they want to keep the loan on track going forward, I am still not convinced. I am recently aware of possibility of moving to new lender with a two year clean credit record albeit with further criteria and case by case basis, so not a given for all, however its a start in the right direction.

Thank you

Current rate is 4.7 (was 3.7% however with current hikes, is now 4.7%)
No, not a split mortgage
Thanks

I think I read rates should be as offered by previous mortgage provider,

Hi Stevie

This was my proposal to ensure fair treatment of borrowers by vulture funds. But it has been rejected by the Minister for Finance and the Central Bank.

So, currently, Pepper can charge you what they like assuming you are not on a tracker.

Brendan

Current rate is 4.7

I presume that this is not a tracker?

Or that it's not a fixed rate ending?

Could you show the history of rate changes

x/2021 x % on move from EBS to Mars
July 2022 +0.5% to x.5%

July 2023 + = current rate of 4.7%

Pepper are charging many customers 8% and more, so it's very odd that you are being charged "only" 4.7%. Maybe Mars is charging less.

Brendan

Last edited:
So you're on 4.7% variable at the moment and, in an environment in which rates have been increasing, and we quite possibly have not seen the last of the ECB hikes, they're offering to fix it at 4.7% for 12 months? That seems odd. As does the point made by @Brendan Burgess. Although, going by other Askaboutmoney threads mentioning Mars Capital it looks like they may not be charging the same penal rates charged by other vulture funds.

Last edited:
Like @Brendan Burgess asked, it'd be interesting to see a full history of rate changes. Mars recently announced a 1.5% increase to variable rates applicable from 1st October, but you've a different change.

It appears that Mars were honouring the EBS variable rates until recently (the 3.7% rate you were on).

You are all missing a key fact the Vultures are not funded in the traditional way. They wouldn't really have a cost of funds as debt is financed by a Bond or Note.

The interest rate is merely an opportunity to enhance the Investment Return to the noteholder

You are all missing a key fact the Vultures are not funded in the traditional way. They wouldn't really have a cost of funds as debt is financed by a Bond or Note.

The interest rate is merely an opportunity to enhance the Investment Return to the noteholder
I don't think that anyone is missing that point. It has been discussed already in several threads.

Back