Married, passport has 8 years to go...

casiopea said:
No. My impression would be that more Irish women would change their name than not.
Are you sure about that? I don't know many women who went to the bother of changing their names after marriage. My main point was that like in Switzerland, people in Ireland are also free to choose whether to change their names or not. You seemed to be insinuating that there was some legal onus on them doing so.

I fully expect Cati76 to comment on this as it has already been stated "why do children have to go with the fathers name". So why do they have to go with the mothers name. Perhaps this is the ideal time to impose a double barrelled name on the child.

Clubman, casiopea said its a cultural thing. By saying Swiss people can change their name if they want to he is surely not suggesting that Irish women have to. Not the impression I got anyway

beaky said:
I fully expect Cati76 to comment on this as it has already been stated "why do children have to go with the fathers name". So why do they have to go with the mothers name. Perhaps this is the ideal time to impose a double barrelled name on the child.

I am not saying they have to go with the father's or the mother's, but they way it's in Spain, they get one from both (double barrelled), this way nobody "loses"...Of course names are going to dissapear on one side of the family at some stage, but we will have to live with it...
Changing a name in all documents can prove tricky, and confusing in other cultures, so I have already discuss the matter with bf, and in the event of marriage, I won't change my name. My name it's my identity, so why should I change my identity? The same way, i would like my kids to have my name, in the way i have my mothers name (at the second last name)...

Cati76 said:
they get one from both (double barrelled), this way nobody "loses"...
It could be argued that one or other of the barrels takes precedence and, as such, the other "loses". :)

I'm not surprised the gentleman above got funny looks for changing his name after getting married. it really is very unusual but each to their own I suppose. My own wife is changing her name at the moment 9 months down the line, and is happy to do so, having said that it didn't really bother me publically** one way or the other whether she did or not

**secretly I'm delighted

I would be very interested in knowing how many Irish women do change their name on getting married. The majority of women I know didn't, but most were the sort of pinko-liberal heathens who got married in registry offices anyway, so I dont know how typical this is.

ClubMan said:
Are you sure about that? I don't know many women who went to the bother of changing their names after marriage. My main point was that like in Switzerland, people in Ireland are also free to choose whether to change their names or not. You seemed to be insinuating that there was some legal onus on them doing so.

Hi ClubMan,

I didnt insinuate anything. I was responding to Cati76 who's a foreigner in Ireland about my experience as an irish foreigner abroad. I said, culturally its normal for irish women to change their name. I didnt say anything about legal onus.

My personal experience was that in Ireland I was expected to change my name (by my peers) and in Switzerland I wasnt.

Cas.

I might not know that many Irish married women, but the few that I know, have changed their names, and got surprised about my opinions on the matter (and I am not taking about old people, most of them in the 20's-30's)

Changing my surname was the first thing I did when I got married ... because I was born to a family with an unusual surname and a twisted sense of naming!

That said, it is easier to have the same name as your children in hospitals, airports, etc ... nobody disputes your parentage!

mell61 said:
I got married a few months ago, and was wondering about changing my passport to my married name.
Anecdotal tales from co-workers / friends is that if I apply I have to pay the full whack for the new passport, there isn't an 'exchange' option.
I had a mouch around Oasis and passport.ie, but can't find anything concrete.
Does anyone know if I can exchange, or will I need to pay in full?

To get back to the original question...yes you do have to pay for a new passport. AFAIK the name change previously was free of charge but the last time they put the charges up they changed it so that a name change requires a new passport to be issued.

On the whole changing your name issue.. I decided to change mine so since we got married I have been known as Y. However I haven't changed anything officially yet. I plan to change bank accounts, driving licence etc in the next month or so and change my passport in July as I have flights booked in my maiden name.

I don't see how changing my surname affects my identity. I'm still the same person I was before I got married. People who knew me prior to marriage will always know me as X. In fact my granny still refers to her childhood friends by their maiden names despite the fact that they have been married for 60+ years:D .

Its up to the individual to choose what suits them.

Im always amazed at how opinionated people are about this subject.
Surely it is up to the individual & some choose to change their name while some choose not to. Why get so pent up about someone else's decision!

I personally didnt really want to change my name (only because I prefer my maiden name to my husbands!) however because I thought about the future of when we have kids (wouldnt consider going double barrelled) & because it was very important to my husband I changed it. No big deal.

Cati - you seem to be saying why doesnt everyone do the same as in Spain.....well because we are in Ireland........I don't really understand why you have a problem with other people changing their names as long as you can do what you want!

Back