Married, passport has 8 years to go...

mell61

I got married a few months ago, and was wondering about changing my passport to my married name.
Anecdotal tales from co-workers / friends is that if I apply I have to pay the full whack for the new passport, there isn't an 'exchange' option.
I had a mouch around Oasis and passport.ie, but can't find anything concrete.
Does anyone know if I can exchange, or will I need to pay in full?

I am afraid that its a full fee job as I found out recently. With 8 years to go I would simply travel under your old name till then, unless you want to pay up for another.

make sure you book any flights etc in your maiden name if using your old passport.

same as me - i book flights in my maiden name also. its no biggie but remember to bring your passport as your proof as ID and not your driving licence if you have changed your name on that. I know you can bring your marraige cert and they will take it at the airport if you are insistant on using your new name with your old passport, mmy cousin did it for ages after she got married

Why would you change your name in the first place?
It's something that still surprises me. Why do we have to go to all that hassle, just because we got married? And why do the children have to go with the father's name? It doesn't seem fair. Where I am from, married woman do not change their name, and kids get both names, from father and mother....SO let's say my father is Mr. X Y, and my mother is Mrs. T Z (we have two last names in Spain) , then I am Ms. X T (now you can choose the order if you want, but this is the typical arrangement).
Boyfriend and myself keep having this conversation, about in the event of marriage, will I change my name? that answer is no. All my documentation is under my name, and changing names in Degree, Master, etc etc, can be a nightmare, and also costly.

If each generation appends surnames then things will surely eventually become a bit unwieldly?

ClubMan said:
If each generation appends surnames then things will surely eventually become a bit unwieldly?

We are not appending surnames, we get one for each parent....So they have two each, and I have two, one from dad and one from mom.

But what happens when you 'hand on your two manes and your partner hands on his two names. Now your issue have 4 names, then 8, 16 etc. Surely a parent will have to drop their name to maintain the number of surnames at a constant level

You are not understanding my point, I guess.
Ok, I will give you an example with real names:
Felipe Gonzalez Marquez marries Ana Perez Garcia, their son is then called:
Felipe Gonzalez Perez.
You see, nobody looses, as the soon gets his name from both parents.
This also makes it easy to track down the family tree.

Fair enough, but someone will only be passing their name for 1 generation, after which it will be lost to that branch of the family if I understand you correctly.You can choose the order but what is the convention for choosing the name to drop. If there is a convention, say one normally drops maternal name, then it is the fathers name which is passed to further generations. Perhaps I still misunderstand.

When I got married I adopted the my wifes surname as well as my own. This led to some very interesting conversations with senior oersons in the passport office when i went to change my passport. It took a bit of explaining what I had done. My wife then took my name so became the same hyphenated dual surname, thus creating a new surname.

Surname are lost when only girls are born in a family, the same way as in Ireland..

bond-007 said:
My wife then took my name so became the same hyphenated dual surname, thus creating a new surname.
So you were Bond and she was 007, or vice versa?

Call me prejudiced but hyphenated surnames still smack of pretension to me.

Yes but if any girl is born she can only hand on one name. You said why do children have to go with the fathers name, it dosnt seem fair. So go with the mothers name instead. My point is that one name will have to be lost at some stage. Your compromise is to have the grandchildren loose the grandfathers or grand mothers name on both sides. Ok but it is a compromise and as clubman said its (and IMHO) a bit unwieldly and some think pretentious. Why do we want to keep surmanes? Tells where we came from for many past generations etc... but only from one side. Your kids can tell where they came from, from both sides but only for 1 generation. I just dont see any advantage other than being able to give your kids one name which belonged to either your mother or your father. My wife kept her name by the way and I am delighted. Since I first met her I knew her as Aine XXXX and she is still the same person, even in name. No kids yet!!!!!!!!!!??????????

You could end up with some funny hyphenated surnames in Ireland -
Winterbottom-Weatherhead, MacDonagh-MacGuinness, Steele-Magee ...

It isn't a problem if people know what way their surname is spelt.
If you are registering at a library for instance which files members alphabeticaly under surname then in makes a huge difference whether you name is Mary Flynn Ross or Mary flynn-Ross.
The amount of people who change their surname each time they come to a library desk is amazing.
So do you look up Ross, Mary Flynn
or
Flynn-Ross, Mary.

If you are going to use both surnames at least be consistant with how you use them.

Er, why is this such a problem? Haven't librarians heard of computers?

Sometimes it's not about how I use mine, it's how other people used them, like for instance, the bank insists dropping my first surname, and call me by my second surname, which is completely uncorrect, not matter how many times I have told them, they simply ignore me.....and it's can be frustrating. I used to work in a call center with a lot of people from everywhere, and they did the same....for some things they take both, but more than like they will be dropping our first name thinking it's a "middle name"......It's just a matter of getting informed about how things are done in other countries.

Getting back on track, you need to be very careful that your "names" match up when travelling, especially to the US.

Say you book a ticket with your credit card, that ticket will probably be issued the name as it appears on the card.
If you husband books the tickets on line with his credit card, and enters the names of the other passenger, he will have to make sure to enter the "right" name as well.
Similarly, say you're travelling for business. Then your "company name" may appear on the ticket.

Not sure what the story is with renting cars, again credit cards & driving licenses come into play, sometimes they want to see a passport as well.

Cati76 said:
Why would you change your name in the first place?
It's something that still surprises me.

Its a cultural thing. In Ireland women grow up with the generations of women before them changing their names at marraige. So its "normal" for us.

Its the nice thing though about being in a mixed marraige that you can adopt the things you like from both cultures. I married a swiss and in Switzerland people can change their name if they want but just as many dont. I chose not to change my name, in Switzerland Ive no problems, most people even assumed I wouldnt be changing. My in-laws use my maiden name if they are sending something to me. At home in Ireland so many people have questioned my decision. Oddly enough its women my age that seem to question it the most. A good friend who got married in Ireland within months of my wedding said "you're not changing your name? Who'll I send the christmas card to".
Ah, the same person you always did.

Interestingly in Switzerland if a couple who are not married have a child the child automatically gets the mothers name. Ive many friends here who wont ever be getting married and their children will carry on the mothers name not the fathers.