Making payments to HMRC

biddy123

Hi, what is the cheapest way to make payments to HMRC? Is a direct debit or bank transfer with AIB or payment with revolut?Or has anyone used WISE? Would there be a problem if there was an issue with Revolut payments( heard you have no comeback, dont know if that is true or not) Have to pay about 3000 and then make payments for a few years?

Thanks for any info

I used Wise about 3 weeks ago, but haven't checked with HMRC yet if all went well.

I found Wise very user friendly and straight forward.

BOI are a member of the BACS clearing system, so only charge a few cents per transaction. AIB use SWIFT transaction, so charge about 15 euro.

For the lump sum payment, I'd be looking at a bricks & mortar bank.

After that its less that €200, so any of the others are fine.

Has anyone tried Atlantic Money? I've heard that they are regularly the cheapest provider when sending money from Ireland to UK.

Can anybody confirm Revolut details, following the instructions in the main post but the account details are not listed under point 10.
ACC: 30944793
S/C: 20-20-48
Name: "HMRC NIC Receipts"

The correct payment method for online transfers is given at:
w&w&w.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/make-online-telephone-bank-transfer
(i am not permitted to use hyperlinks)
This covers both Class2 & Class3

Note that for Irish residents, their Revolut £St account is based in London (with UK IBAN)
so the correct account number for St transfer to HMRC from Revolut from an Irish perspective is:

Paying from a UK bank account​

You can pay HMRC by Faster Payments, CHAPS or Bacs, using the following details:
  • sort code - 08 32 20
  • account number - 12001004
  • account name - HMRC NIC Receipts"

How did you get confirmation from HMRC that payments had been received? And is there a way to see that online?
I made mine in April and haven’t heard anything back from the nor do I see any messages in my account

How long did it take to get confirmation from HMRC?
I rang them about 10 days after making the transfer and they could not see the payment at that stage. So I rang again about 4 weeks after the original transfer date and they confirmed they had received the money but it had not been allocated at that stage. Total time from the original transfer until I could see the years as having been paid online was ~ 3 months.

You can see it on the HMRC app,
If you have not paid, or your payment is not yet applied, your "National Insurance Record" in HMRC App will show
(It does not matter if you are approved for Class 2, it will still show as class 3 rates)

When payment is finally applied by HMRC, the National Insurance Record in HMRC app will show
(This is for Class 2)

Your "State Pension Summary" in the HMRC App should also increase to reflect the extra years contributions