Lump sum investment.

lucky7

Hi, I hope to retire in a years time where I hope to have a lump sum of about €120K. I have no mortgage, loans and will have a pension of about €800 a week after tax. I am totally clueless on how to invest this lump sum! I want to invest this money so as to be able to leave some money to my children. I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks
Lucky.

Congratulations on retirement in the near future! Do you want to split the 120k between your children or are you hoping to grow the money to give them a larger amount in the future? Would the children benefit of the money just being gifted to them once you receive rather than down the line?

More than likely, you're in your mid 60's and within one year you will be retired. Retired = ME TIME = Enjoy your money. You've earned it

Thanks guys but Id like to invest the money for a while and later on give some money to my children. Wondering where to invest or where to get advice. Thanks!

A 10 year investment in An Post saving cert, seeing as it's a sum you want to leave to your children.

a 10 yr investment of 100k in an post realises 116k after 10 years? surely that wont even beat inflation. im in same boat(100/120k in next few weeks) and im looking for something a bit better than an post? any ideas? i was thinking zurich prisma 3 or 4?

It all depends on risk approach and how much you wish to speculate. Perhaps put some in the State Savings Scheme and some in something with a larger return potential.

a 10 yr investment of 100k in an post realises 116k after 10 years? surely that wont even beat inflation. im in same boat(100/120k in next few weeks) and im looking for something a bit better than an post? any ideas? i was thinking zurich prisma 3 or 4?

Sarenco has been promoting this option now and again, i used to think it was a miserly return but on " mature reflection", 1.5% is a lot better than most European sovereign debt when you consider its tax free

The equity market isn't for everyone

@galway_blow_in peter brown said that the interest rate policy by the ECB and others is a secret way for governments to steal from savers. Thats actually what is happening its a secret tax that you dont notice day to day but then suddenly that 100k bank deposit is worth much less 10 years down the road, it wont even pay for a deposit on a house, meanwhile in that decade asset prices are likely to have increased substantially.
People are waiting for the last financial crash, sure look at the recent withdrawal by investors from property funds, I think they are mistaken there wont be another property crash sure we cant even build the properties now, we dont have the workers and construction companies are risk adverse, they wont be caught again with their trousers down.

Last edited:
Back