Lotto increase

Merrion

I run the our Lotto syndicate at work and I heard some mention on the radio that there is an increase in numbers and an increase in prices starting Thursday - does anyone have more info on this?

Can't find anything on lotto.ie

I saw an ad for this yesterday and it wasn't clear if there was an increase in numbers, price or an extra game being added. Sorry, that's not much help.

Is this Indo article of any use (free registration required)?
From November 2 on, the Lotto jackpot will be at least €2m tax free in each draw, twice a week.

There would be more jackpots of €5m and there should be enhanced record jackpots with the new six numbers out of 45 set up. Under the revised prize structure the current Match 5 Plus Bonus goes up from €12,000 to €25,000.
The Lotto Plus 1 top prize increases to €350,000 and the top Lotto Plus 2 prize rises to €250,000. In other changes, players will select their numbers from 45 instead of the present 42, which the Lottery says will allow more roll overs.

But there will be no change in the price of tickets.

Thanks Clubman - thats great. Although this article states there is no increase in tickets. Just listening to Liveline a few mins ago and they mentioned there was an increase.

If anyone can shed any light on whether there is a price increase or not please let me know. Thanks :)

doing the lotto plus is 1.50 euro per line i do not know if this has been increased or not, you would think with the size of this company rte could even have furnished details since the national lottery seems like it could,nt care less about its punters

It has increased to €4 for 2 lines with lotto plus from the previous €3.
There are leaflet in all the lotto outlets

I don't think the price has actually gone up. The Irish Independent of the 27th Oct also said the price was not increasing. The chance( if that is the right word) of winning has just gone from 1 in 5.2 million to 1 in 8.1 million.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the innumeracy tax, sorry - Lotto, is optional.

It is optional however if you work in an office with a syndicate, I always think of it as an insurance policy :)

If the syndicate in your office won and you weren't in it, how depressed would you be? :)

The chances of any individual having to consider the effects of such depression are miniscule.

Having been in the past the object of statistically improbable accidents which weren't even organised, lotto wins seem plausible. Besides, the return on investment is substantial for someone at least once a week- which is not true of my old Eircom shares. (If Dolores McNamara is a member, she might share her views).

Having been in the past the object of statistically improbable accidents which weren't even organised, lotto wins seem plausible. Besides, the return on investment is substantial for someone at least once a week- which is not true of my old Eircom shares. (If Dolores McNamara is a member, she might share her views).

It's all relative I suppose: any 6 numbers out of 42 yields 5,245,786 combinations - do 2 panels in the main draw and you have 2 chances out of 5,245,786 of winning the main prize. Any 6 numbers of of 45 yields 8,145,060 combinations so doing 2 panels in the main draw means 2 chances out of 8,145,060 of hitting the jackpot - more combinations means the jackpot is less likely to be won meaning bigger rollovers meaning more punters do more panels ( as they are lured by the bigger jackpots ) meaning the lotto makes more money - that's what it's all about.

I agree. It's all about rollovers and the free increased advertisement it brings them. They make more when you loose. Just stop using them. Shop around, try other lotto's. UK for example

Shop around, try other lotto's. UK for example

The UK main draw involves choosing 6 numbers from 49 ie 13,983,816 possible combinations, so doing 2 panels would make a jackpot win less probable than in Ireland.

price of line gone up from 1 euro to 1 euro 50 jackpot now a minimum of 2 million

I don't think the price has actually gone up. The Irish Independent of the 27th Oct also said the price was not increasing.
Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Cost is now €1.50/line, minimum play €3. It used to be €2.
Then if you want to add lotto plus the minimum play is €4. It used to be €3.
Scandalous how they decrease the chances of winning by adding more numbers and expect you to pay more!!! I know there is a larger jackpot but the lower prizes are still crap.

Aidomoss,
I was obviously wrong. Thanks. It is a real pain as I do a syndicate in work and I can't see everyone wanting to pay more every week. Hopefully the public will realise that the spin the national lottery are putting on this is complete crap.

Back