Longford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone from the longford living in the area or originally from the area got anything positive to say abou the place?
Thanks, everyone I appreciate your opinions.

In response to Rugbyball re commute to Clondalkin (Wyeth), I work beside Wyeth (Grange Castle) and I live in Lucan - end near Arc Bar, and its taking me almost an hour to get to/from work, so I think the problems with the commute is more to do with that particular area - its an absolute nightmare at the moment!!!

Should improve when the new road opens.

yeah thats this week.......and 3 of those films are for children.

thats one place to go once a week and its bloody expensive these days as well.

you mentioned golf, another expensive past time, not everyone is interested or can afford to pay the stupid fees for these clubs.

in normal day to day life there is very little, but there is a great theatre and it has good plays a lot of the time.

as i've said, overall there are better towns with more to offer.
I found out that Longford has a tennis club, badmington club also. T

Isnt there a big problem in Longford with uninhabited houses.

My boss is a businessman originally from Longford town and is always bemoaning the lack on investment in the place. his brother is on the town coucil and has told him that apparently loads of investors bought the cheap accomdoation for tax breaks and a huge protion of them are uninhabited and never have been. this is a big consideration if you are investing in a house down there.

Also my brother is a painting contractor and has done several jobs on these new 'housing schemes' down there and said the same, of all the towns he's worked in Ireland he's never seen anything like the amount of empty houses.

Like ron Burgundy he found it a lifeless spot but maybe he hadn't done his research.
It you are investing as a longterm home, no worries as long aas you aren't banking on capital appreciation. The market seems to be flooded pretty much.

if you are willing to commute 4 hours a day travelling, would you not be better off trying Athlone or someplace with a bit more going for it? It's 'only' 1.5 hours each way from Athlone on the train.

best of luck with your decision :)

Ballagh...born and bred in longford and think its a great place to live so dont be put off by previous post from people who heard this and that from someone else....!!! Its has all the amenities of any other town and is booming right now with new businesses and developments opening every week.....I has sucessfull soccer(premier division) , rugby and this year Gaelic (refurbished Pearse Park stadium)teams. Also great nightlife with many great pubs and resturants...(Valentines, PV Fallons, Eamons) and clubs..Club Blue and Blazers.... Also 7 miles from Tarmonbarry and Clondra villages and the shannon for watersports during the summer... let me know if you have any other questions

well i have never heard such bleating on about mostly negative things about longford. open your eyes and appreciate what's around you. there are great houses for sale in and around kenagh village, 20 minutes drive from athlone which is thriving fantastically.
we are moving back there in about 3 years time after having spent the last 20 years in london. i can tell you we are looking forward to it. we are building a fantastic 6 bed detached house with a garage just outside the village of kenagh for pennies compared to london. the children can do horseriding next door at Harrisons Riding Club, cycle through the local forest on mountain bikes, eventually will be able to canoe on the canal at Coolnahinch, lots of country walks surrounded by fresh air and nature as its best, there is an abundance of great restaurants all within a 20 minute drive, local football club for boys, camogie for girls or hockey in longford town. plenty of new clubs for children to join. how many more of the benefits can i BORE you with. if you are bored then maybe you should start a club for likeminded bored people to whinge on so they can pass the time of day. do you think i would be going back to longford if there was nothing on offer? my children will go to ballymahon convent where there are about 400 kids as opposed to the local secondary over here which has 1600 kids and i tell you if you met some of these kids on the bus you would know what "scary" really means.
life will be greener in longford! my husband is a carpenter and is confident in finding work in any of the following towns including longford, mulllingar, tullamore, athlone, cavan, roscommon. i think this should be enough to be getting on with all within 45 mins at the most from kenagh.

Good to hear some positive opinions form people who actually know the area.
I am looking at a one off detached house close to town and village amenities. Somewhere I can have quick access to a shop/chemist/doctor.
Refreshing to hear Lorna speak about horeseriding et al activities which I am not interested in but I am sure my kids would love.
I am keen on the idea of having facilities like the shannon, lough rynn and gowna within driving distance places I can utilise during the summer months for water sports and fishing etc...HOW COULD ANYONE BE BORED?
Dare I say only boring people..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back