Locations that use US dollars - other than USA !

T

TeeDee

I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for honeymoon locations other than the USA that myself and my fiance could go to - getting married in Sept 05 - to take advantage of the good exchange rate ?

Hi TeeDee

I got the following from finfacts using google search " countries currencies pegged to us dollar"
www.finfacts.com/costofliving4.htm

Currency pegging has biggest influence in Africa and Middle East. Middle Eastern economies have seen a decline in the relative cost of living due to the pegging of many currencies to the US dollar. Despite Kuwait City’s growing role as a conduit for trade in Iraq it has fallen seven places in the rankings to 91st place. Tehran, nearly three times cheaper than New York, remains the world’s cheapest city following the abolition of multiple exchange rates in 2002.

While economies in the Middle East with currencies pegged to the US dollar have seen the relative cost of living continue to slide, those in Africa pegged to the euro have seen relative costs rise. Abidjan in Cote D’Ivoire (29th) is the most expensive city in the region and the only African or Middle Eastern city in the top 50. Harare (122nd) has also risen slightly in the rankings as hyperinflation offsets the rapid devaluation of the Zimbabwean dollar.

If I find a list of countries Ill post it here.

ajapale

re

Can't really see Tehran or any other Middle East countries being very high on a Honeymoon list.

The best bets are:
Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and most of the Far East. The Euro has risen against the USD by 8.78% against this time last year. It's up 5% against the Yen.
It's up 14% against the Malaysian.
It's up 10% against the Singapore.
and 12% against the Hong Kong.

Re: re

It’s not clear from your question if you have a stack of US dollars that you want to spend on your honeymoon in a non-US country that uses dollars (e.g. Liberia?) or do you want to take advantage of the current high value of the euro? If it’s the latter think of South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, China, etc. i.e. almost anywhere except the UK or euro countries. The exchange rate with these countries is good, not because they are pegged to the US dollar, but because the euro is high relative to almost anything else except sterling, so, to benefit for the euro’s high, go anywhere except the euro zone or the UK. (And don’t book via a UK travel agent that will bill you in sterling).

Re: re

I suggest the following page for info:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_dollar

A few nations outside of U.S. jurisdiction use the United States dollar (USD) as their official currency. These nations include Ecuador, Palau, East Timor, Panama, the British Virgin Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia.

Since I have wikipedia in my firefox I start becomming addicted to it.

Back