Location of extractor fan

emily_moss

Hello,

I am in the process of designing a basic kitchen layout for a new house, and I wondering if the cooker needs to be positioned against an external wall to install an extractor fan over it?
Could the extractor be joined to a pipe running through the cavity in the wall - or am I talking rubbish here??

Also I would like a gas hob which I would need to connect to a gas cylinder therefore having the same issue as the extractor fan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Emily,

You could try giving these or [broken link removed] people a call to see what they think. I have seen the centered cooker hood and island with hobs but would have to say they looked to be in very pricey kitchens.

If it suits your plan, you could run conduit along the top of wall mounted cabinets to an external wall. You can get square plastic conduit for this purpose. Only thing, make sure the extractor you choose is powerful enough, adding a length of conduit will impede its performance.

we postitoned our cooker against an internal wall. The air is extracted through to the utility room around a 90deg bend and vented to an exeternal wall. The pipe is about 2m long.

Anything is possible given money, but the preferred option with an extraction system is to keep the ductwork as short and straight as possible. Each bend or change in direction of the ductwork is the equivalent of an additional one metre of ductwork, in terms of a detioration in performance. Condensation is more likely to form in longer duct runs, especially where the duct passes through an unheated space. In my own kitchen I located the hob and extract on an external wall, coring the wall to ensure the outlet was located as near as possible to the extract hood. This has resulted in a very efficient extraction system which works very well.

I found the kitchen people to be unenthusiastic about ducting up to the fan. It seems that most people have the fan largely as a decorative item rather than a functional item. The one mistake we made in our recent kitchen design was locating the grill away from the fan, so the fumes from the grill hang around.

you could get one of those "extractor" fans with carbon filters which filter the air and recirculate it. you need to change the filter pretty frequently as far as i know but with this option you would not need to have it leading to the outside wall hence no prob with extended/ugly pipe work or loss of effeciency.

re gas, i take it its a refurb you are doing, my folks just got gas fire put in (no natuarl gas, bottled) chimney is on inside wall, pipes were burried in the cement floor and connected to side of fire! i assume you could do this also with the hob? (just reread this new house bit, so you could just channel out the floor to take the pipes before covering and tiling or whatever)

Had one of those fans with carbon filters and IMHO they're crap!

Previous threads:

Sizing a kitchen extractor fan

New home missing extractor fan

Thanks to you all for your replies - very informative.
The external wall is about 3.5 m from where the cooker will be positioned, but there wouldn't be any bends in the route to the external wall.
The duct would be less than a metre if the air was to be extracted to the utility room. Not sure I like this idea though.
We might be able to work something with the vent for the tumbler dryer though.

We have a Waterford Stanley hood with an unducted charcoal filter system - works great so far.

Re the gas piping, this can go around bends and under floors. Be careful with the installation and make sure someone qualified pressure tests it and hooks it up to both the cylinder and the cooker.

Bord Gais have info on this in their Technical Manual, which can be viewed online. Basically you must use copper pipe, a continuous length without joints is preferable. Where copper pipe is buried in concrete it should be protected by a PVC sheath.

Hi sloggi,

Perhaps you should not take my word as gospel as it was a long time ago and I see extopia mentions above that his works fine. They might have improved since I had one Anyone else more recent experience of charcoal filter hoods?

Carpenter said:
e. Where copper pipe is buried in concrete it should be protected by a PVC sheath.

Essential point, should have mentioned the sheath. Pity it's made of PVC (sorry, suellen) - so I guess my PVC downpipes are not alone after all....

actually being slight facetious!! my ideal kitchen has just been quoted at 30k!!! think i need a shrink never mind carbon filters!!!

What are you getting for your 30k? I thought my kitchen was way out of whack at about 13k including all (high end, but not fashionable... well, not TOO fashionable) appliances. Believe me it killed me to pay the 13k! But we're talking about good appliances, marble tops, bespoke units. For 30k, I'd want to be talking about a very big room indeed.

extopia said:
For 30k, I'd want to be talking about a very big room indeed.

For 30k I'd want it to prepare, cook and clean up the dinner. That's an unbelieveable amount of money for a kitchen.