Loading if in a no fault accident

bond-007

I have discovered that my insurance company has closed off a claim from Nov 2006 and paid out absolutely nothing to the other guy. They have restored my NCB to the full 5 years.

Now do you have to declare this to future insurers? It seems that places like AXA and Hibernian still load heavily on the basis of being not at fault in an accident. Some companies say that once they have not paid out you don't need to declare it. Others like Quinn ask about no fault accidents.

I would be grateful to hear of your opinions.

As there was not a claim then there is nothing to declare.
Just on the above Im not sure if your aware but previous premiums that you would have paid would have been based on a reduced No Claims Bonus. As this has now been restored it should ALSO be back dated with the result that the insurer will owe you monies from previous years.

Of course my NCB cert has the line "The last recorded incident was on DD/MM/2006". That sets the alarm bells ringing every time. It feels like I am being punished over and over again for something that was not my fault.

I tried that in the past and in the insurer then claimed I'd been under charged on the previous two premiums exactly the amount I thought they owed me. Obviously they haven't got any more premiums from me. I love the logic here. They got maybe an extra 600 out of me, only to lose who knows how much over the 10yrs since.

That is exactly it. If they try and screw you over they will loose business. Companies like that will not prosper.
I get the impression that they are not that desperate to keep business these days.

Whether you disclose it or not, it should not impact on your premium going forward. I would also make sure to get back any premium that you paid above & beyond over the last number of years. Insurance companies are sometimes slow to give this back but a bit of persistence will pay off.

Well Quinns were the only company to acknowledge it was not my fault and quote a fair figure.

...I get the impression that they are not that desperate to keep business these days.

Thats my experience. Renewal on the first car this year was over €150 more than anyone else, and they were happy to lose 3 policies (other car and house) rather than even meet half way on the renewal. That the policy has been in place 12yrs, no claims counts for nothing. Previous years they matched or were within €50 the best quote elsewhere.

In shopping around it seems theres a few new insurance companies out there now. I'll be shopping around and have a list of things, to compare them on, like no fault in accident. You need to watch the small print as policies vary a lot. No adding drivers under 25 or 30 days free for a temporary added driver (family visiting etc) .

IME, proposal forms ask about claims and accidents. Failure to disclose either can invalidate the proposal or the policy if one issues.

No need to worry, Quinns know all about that fateful night and they are happy to cover me.

IME, proposal forms ask about claims and accidents. Failure to disclose either can invalidate the proposal or the policy if one issues.

Some use either as an excuse to load the policy. I'm surprised to hear that Quinn don't. I've never been insured with them, so don't know how good they are at paying out. My only experience was trying to claim off them, and it wasn't a very positive experience.

I switched to Quinn last year and have to say it was seamless, the only concern they raised initially was about a busted windscreen I'd claimed for the previous year, but that got resolved quickly with no resultant loading.

Claims still under adjudication are a right pain though (as per OP) as you're stuck with zero NCB util a decision is reached.