Living in Newbridge, Co Kildare :thinking about trading down to live in Dublin

Firefly, I live in a very spacious 800 square foot apartment. Theres no lack of space. I had more troubles living in an awkwardly laid out 1950's house in Terenure

800sq feet is tiny IMO unless it is and always will be for 1 person.

Can you have a BBQ for you and all your mates? Can you sit out in the sun without the world seeing you?

Another thing I don't like about apts is that you are dependant on the state and general upkeep on the apt block itself...won't matter how snazzy the inside of your own apt is if the exterior (hallways, painting) etc are shabby.

Firefly, I live in a very spacious 800 square foot apartment. Theres no lack of space. I had more troubles living in an awkwardly laid out 1950's house in Terenure

800sq is a tiny space IMO unless it is and always will be for 1 person...just my opinion. I appreciate that for an apt it is big but it is still a small space.

You are also restricted having no private garden - BBQ for the mates, sitting out in the sun without the whole world watching you.

Also, you are more dependent on the general upkeep of the apt block itself....not much point in having a snazzy interior if all the hallways, exterior wall are shoddy...this will have a hugh impact on selling price. At least with a house you can give it a lick of paint and make it more sellable.

good thoughts here on this thread.

The financial implications of such a move as I would see it are :

Sell/Buy
Stamp Duty, Possible Management Fees, less market robust property as would be able to afford a small apartment,

Rent/Rent
Stamp Duty Clawback, CGT on sale of prorperty when selling, loss of TRS, wear and tear to original property due to renting it out.

There are also emotional/lifestyle implications as stated by people above.

The house I am considering selling is in my home town, so lots of family, friends and social connections there. I actually like living there, has all the trappings of city life with proximity to the countryside and and a house that I genuinely love.

To sell / rent it out would mean re-establisihing myself in the city and renewing social connections. No family there. Much smaller place/apt , personal safety concerns ( if I cant buy into a resonably safe area), hugely increased costs of living ( mortgage /rent about double plus general costs)

A lot of contributors here appear to be against someone from Dublin staying somewhere when they have a large commute, what about someone who is not from Dublin originally ?

3 hour commute daily ( train & bus)

A cheaper way of finding out may be to leave your own house idle for 2 months and rent somewhere in Dublin for 2 months and see if you really prefer it....

Tagging on to Firefly's comment:
We are just returned from living in Australia for the last 3 years and renting in Donabate. Currently looking at options to buy - we're originally from Killiney,Deansgrange, Blackrock so forget about buying a sanely priced house! We took a trip down to Newbridge and we then thought it might be a good idea to rent down there for a few months, see if we can hack the commute, if not don't buy there and look somewhere else, if so, then seriously look at buying.
My two cents.

Back