Littering and dumping of domestic waste

Just because you see him as some vigilante hero, does not make this behaviour acceptable. Your friend is a thug.

Throwing lighted cigarettes into cars is extremely dangerous.

This guy probably needs psychiatric help.
He's not my friend and I don't see him as a hero. Strange phrase to use...
While I don't condone his actions I do find it amusing. I have little sympathy for anyone who throws a cigaret butt out of their car so if they end up with a burn in their upholstery then good enough for them. If they get some coffee in their lap then even better. When you think about it for a pedestrian to do what he does the car has to be stationary or moving very slowly so it's not that dangerous.

Because public representatives like Ruth Coppinger (waste) and Paul Murphy (water) have stoked up a popular feeling that people should not have to pay for such items.

If someone had dumped domestic waste over my garden wall, I too would be incandescent with rage. But the choice to pick up of other people's litter is a healthier response than vigilante thuggery.

And don't get me started on the stupidity of bagging dog poo and not disposing of the bag ..

Relatively easy solution.

Add a refuse/recycling service fee to the property tax.
The company you sign up with applies for this payment from revenue.

Then you pay just for the actual waste itself.

As the service fee (probably €200) would include recycling collection, the additional cost just for the rubbish would be quite low and make dumping unattractive as the saving would not be substantial.

I think that would only serve to bloat the service fee and increase administrative overhead. €200 would be more than double what I currently pay in total!

Refuse services aren't all that expensive as it is, and no matter how cheap you make them, some will still choose to litter rather than pay their way.

Because public representatives like Ruth Coppinger (waste) and Paul Murphy (water) have stoked up a popular feeling that people should not have to pay for such items.
Yep, which just shows how the "Green Tide" at the last election is a nothing. People won't even pay for water in order to reduce waste. They certainly won't pay higher taxes to reduce carbon emissions or other environmental taxes.

I’m working in a west-side area of Dublin at the moment.

The litter is building each day on the grass areas and on the roadside. Today I spotted a blue bin bag randomly thrown on the roadside.

Such a shame!

Marion

I used to go for a walk through Cabra at lunchtime (I walk through the Botanic Gardens now instead) where I played dodge the dog poo and stepped over the litter. It was truly appalling how dirty the place was. People walked out of shops and just dropped their litter on the ground. Young and old alike.

Back