Lights under kitchen presses

on reflection maybe i could do with 2 more lights so this would be a better option - have a thing about having decent lighting in the kitchen! so did you just combine wire to first light with wire from wall in order for the single light switch to work?

You will have to check behind the lightswitch first to see if you have a live (brown) and neutral (blue) there for it to operate this way if not run a cable from the socket feeding the extractor fan to an arcitrave switch (fit this in a discrete position under the press and from there daisy chain the lights along the presses.

A friend of mine put rope lights under his kitchen presses nicely tucked in behind the decorative moulding around the edge and held in place with plastic clips same kind you would use for holding tv cable.
He then just plugged them in and uses the power switch at the socket to turn them on/off.
Sounds crazy but it looks well and works well and was done in about 20 minutes :D

Good Luck ;)

I installed 3 strip lights myself under presses in about 2 hours, including all wiring, and I'm no DIY expert.

I would suggest buying a separate switch to control all lights in one flick of a switch, as opposed to using the individual switch on each one. In my case at least, I rarely want just one, it's all or nothing.

Lights cost me about Eur 15 each.

how did you cope with wiring from wall have live and netural feed but switch only needing live feed?

Sorry to be late with this post. Woodies (and I'm sure other DIY outlets) sell those mini-shaver-light type strip lamps that link together up to a maximum of 4 or 6 slave units from each mains-powered unit. The mains-powered unit plugs into any 3-pin 13-amp socket and the subsequent lights are daisy-chained to the preceding lamp in the chain.

I have installed these to provide (IMHO) nice atmospheric lighting over the kitchen cupboards and light onto the worktops by (obviously) installing them behind the pelmets on top of AND underneath the cupboards. Looks good.

In order to calculate how many lights you need a handy rule of thumb that worked well for me is to measure the distance from the base of the cupboard (not the pelmet) to the counter top and divide this number into the total distance to be lit, i.e. the length of the counter top excluding hobs, cookers, etc.

For top lighting of cupboards, measure the distance from the top of the cupboard to the ceiling and divide this into the total distance to be lit. In my case, I included the extractor-fan casing in my calculations in order to provide even light coverage on the ceiling and wall.

Total cost was expensive at about 275 euro for materials only, but it was a DIY job taking me about a day in total, and I am very pleased with the result. I didn't need to drill through cabinet carcasses as the cheap-skates who built the kitchen had left handy hidden gaps between individual cupboards and I had already asked the electrician to install twin switched sockets for the extractor and for the fridge both of which were readily accessible to me, so running wires and cables was not an issue. There is a degree of drilling and screwing to secure the lights and wiring to the cupboards and with a bad back the under cupboard lights were a challenge!

A word of warning - be very careful about the siting of electric kettles and microwave ovens if you have under cupboard wiring as the former will cause condensation / water-vapour and the latter may corrode the insulation of electrical wiring.

The name of the product is Linkup lighting, if I remember correctly, and Woodies staff were very good about two defective units I got (or maybe I broke them), but they were replaced on the spot.

Each of the light units is individually switched and readily accessible for the countertop lights, but the overhead lights in my case are either all on or all off as I just couldn't be bothered climbing to switch them individually, which may be a drawback for some people.

I have no connection (get it, electric lights, connection) with the vendors or manufacturers of these products.

Best of luck with your project.

Back