Lidl's reduced prices are often only for Lidl Plus app. users

@tallpaul I have started to notice self service checkouts, or at least in one particular ALDI - Coolock.

Some of the LIDLs in my area have self service and some do not.

I know what you mean about getting stuck behind trolley load.

The absence of atmosphere and the criminal lack of self-serve checkouts (and therefore being stuck behind someone with an enormous shop whilst I have four items) means I go elsewhere when I need something quickly.
Also. If you have a problem with a purchase, there is nobody to talk to. You have to search through the aisles to find someone to ask a simple question.

I forgot to mention in my OP post.

In the Stillorgan Lidl.....I wasn't offered a receipt at the till.....I had to ask for one. The ink on the till receipt was so faint that I could not read the item or cost of the item that I had just purchased. Having just been charged full price for a discounted item (with app only) that looked as if it was a normal special offer item....I would probably not have noticed that I was charged full price. Thankfully my wife who has better eyesight than me was able to spot this.

Their till receipts have been like this for months. Why can they not add some ink or whatever so we can see what we are being charged for?

We shop in Dunnes and then get the few bits in Aldi that we prefer or are demonstrably better value. Both Aldi and Lidl's USP was better value and lower prices. Both run the risk that as their prices creep up and the use of misleading bait and switch tactics as outlined on this thread, people will just shop in Dunnes and Tesco. In fairness, if I am a typical Irish shopper, they have probably reached their market share maximum as Aldi will only be a top-up shop for us. The absence of atmosphere and the criminal lack of self-serve checkouts (and therefore being stuck behind someone with an enormous shop whilst I have four items) means I go elsewhere when I need something quickly.

However regarding Tesco, I have a fundamental problem with their Clubcard price policy anyway: if they can charge one price simply for harvesting your personal data, they can easily charge that lower price for all. They are obviously still making a profit on the item and therefore it clearly demonstrates that the non-Clubcard price is artificially inflated and profiteering. For this reason, I refuse to shop in Tesco. Treasure Ireland indeed!

SV and Boots are doing this now with their special offer pricing so tbf it is not just Tesco at it (doesn't make it right mind!)

At the checkout I was charged the full price. When I queried this I was told that the lower prices were Lidl Plus prices.
I wonder how many people have been caught out by this.

I never bother with their App because it is too complicated and troublesome to use.

I do avail of their special offers though. Now there is a further complication. Is this a special offer or is it a special offer with App only?

Their signage is appalling. You can seldom find their offers. They have very few and very overworked staff who seems to be Jack of All Trades.

I wonder how many people have been caught out by this.
I was recently, in respect of Pink Lady apples cut from €2.99 to around €1.50.

Without me even requesting it, the till assistant gave me the discount regardless.

I suspect she'd gotten some sort of negative feedback from others before me.

I was out in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt this morning at opening time. Had all my groceries bought within 15 minutes, used my €5 off voucher and then got one toward my next shop. Bought some clothing in their clothing section and given another €5 voucher off my next grocery shop. Then decided to have a full Irish breakfast in their restaurant. For €5.50 got five breakfast items including tea and toast. Great value, simple easy transactions.

These images are from LIDL Roscommon. The offers that need the app have the LIDL plus logo over the price. So the mushrooms discount needs the app. The high protein yogurt is just a general offer. Products not on offer have a gray/black background. The price signs are electronic, I don't know if all stores have these.

One advantage of the app is the digital receipt. I have receipts going back to 2020.
1000005948.jpg
1000005949.jpg1000005947.jpg

These images are from LIDL Roscommon. The offers that need the app have the LIDL plus logo over the price. So the mushrooms discount needs the app. The high protein yogurt is just a general offer. Products not on offer have a gray/black background. The price signs are electronic, I don't know if all stores have these.

One advantage of the app is the digital receipt. I have receipts going back to 2020.
View attachment 8933
View attachment 8934View attachment 8935
Thanks for that. I have the app but rarely go to Lidl, but when I do I open the app in the car park and activate all the offers, takes about 30 seconds. I lime the electronic receipts.

Thanks for that. I have the app but rarely go to Lidl, but when I do I open the app in the car park and activate all the offers, takes about 30 seconds. I lime the electronic receipts.
The app uses mobile data, so if the mobile connection is weak the app will be slow.

I was out in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt this morning at opening time. Had all my groceries bought within 15 minutes, used my €5 off voucher and then got one toward my next shop. Bought some clothing in their clothing section and given another €5 voucher off my next grocery shop.
If you did it the other way around you would have been better off a they only last a week. Now you have to spend the €50 to use both.

If you did it the other way around you would have been better off a they only last a week. Now you have to spend the €50 to use both
Yes I understand this, but I will use one tomorrow and treat ourselves to some Sushi. I only purchase what I need and if I don't use the vouchers I put it up on Boards for someone else to use.

Back