Letter from Sky re Phone Line

Westie123

Hello,

Last year I got Sky installed with multiroom and have had both boxes connected to the phone line all the time. On both boxes it shows that both are connected when I perform a system check.

Yesterday I received a letter from Sky telling me that not all of my boxes were connected to the phone line. I followed the instructions in the letter to do a call-back, ie using the "hidden menu" 401 select and entering 142 in the dialing prefix. the sky+ box worked fine but the standard box says that the call-back is in progress but at the end says that the "prefix update failed".

I phoned Sky last night and went through the usual checks but no good. They said that they would do some type of manual check on the line and I am to phone back Thursday night to pursue this further.

Would anyone have an idea what might be causing this problem? Sky are telling me that I now have a "violation" despite the fact that both phone lines are connected all the time.
Could I have a faulty box? Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

might be a problem with the phone line itself, give eircom or whom ever you provider is a ring and get them to check the line.

I have multiroom and never connect them to a phoneline unless I want to order something. The engineer tried to suggest that I should have them plugged in all the time but I told him no chance. Nothing ever came of it.

be careful i got the same letter and I admit I only had one of my boxes connected and did nothing about it.

Sky started to charge €51 extra per month for not complying with the terms of my contract with them

first thing to do is to plug in an actual phone to the line feeding the Sky box at issue and to see if you can make calls from it.

And Sky most certainly do enforce multiroom non compliance.

Hi,

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply. The suggestion to put a phone on the sky box line pointed me to what was wrong. It turns out that the box line and my landline phone were plugged into a double adapter which then fed through a single broadband DSL filter to the phone socket. This prevented the digibox line making a callback to Sky. Putting a separate filter on each line before they merged fixed the problem.

Again thanks to all.

Hi

Is it essential to have the box connected? I thought it was only for some of the interactive services such as box office, games, voting etc.

I disconnected my phone line some time age because I needed the connection elsewhere. I have had no issues since that I am aware of. I do not have multi room. Other then being in breach of the contract are there other issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks

J2K

You only have to have the phone line connected for mutliroom so that Sky can check that you haven't moved the box elsewhere (ie another house)

Hi, I recieved the same letter from sky and have multiroom. Do you have to have both sky boxes connected to the phone line. I just reconnected the sky + box the other day but don't have a phone socket in the room where the other box is.

Hello,

Yes you must have both boxes connected for multiroom, otherwise Sky will pursue it. You can get a wireless phone extender if you have no phone socket nearby. You plug an extender box into the mains near your skybox and connect the phone socket from digibox to it. You plug a base unit into the mains next to your phone socket and connect it to the phone socket with telephone cable. Apparently the signal is sent from the extender to the base unit through the mains. It works for me anyway!

thanks for that info westie123. could you tell me where i can purchase the phone extender and what make they are please. thanks.

Hi,

This is the one that I have [broken link removed]
Maplins have shops in Cork and Dublin so they probably will sort you out.

The guy who installed Sky for me supplied it. Maybe whoever did your Sky installation might be able to supply one if you are stuck.

yopu can also get micro phone cable extenders which are phones wires that are extremely thin.
Interesting that you say what the problem was. One of my boxes at home is connected into that phone system in exactly the same way...double adapter into single filter....no issues so far with it.

This looks the business! Would like to get Sky+ setup but running another phone extension is not an option!

This could just be what I am looking for