Leaving cert results envy?

Foolish by the mother, but was it a "la-la land" proposition (never going to happen) or just that the kid did well but came up a bit short?

Both the mother and the kid were very very sure of their position,so it was a shock to realize, they were way off the mark.(would have thought that the mocks would give them some idea of how things would go,but then again,she wasn't well during the mocks:rolleyes:)

I'm talking here about someone who would be "cocksure" intimidating almost ,and obviously were not as bright as they thought they were..Karma.?

This is where parents come into the equation,I think managing their exceptions is possibly a good thing.. by saying to the kid, hopefully things will go your way and you will get the course you want...but if not ,you have options.
By setting them up for a definitive course, and telling everyone they have it in the bag,is in my opinion not a bright idea..

I've always being amazed at the fact that the sections of society that have least regard for the leaving cert and dont take it seriously and underachieve are the people who put the most money and effort into celebrating the results.

That's so true!

Its amazing that the more effort I and he put in the "luckier " he got!!!

Believe me lots of parents put in trojan efforts with their kids and still can't get them to take an interest in schoolwork or exams,(like mine many years ago, for instance) so you are very lucky with your son in that regard. Or are you saying that all kids who don't achieve their potential in the leaving cert have irresponsible parents?

To be honest, I think both lots of students learn something from this. The disappointed ones realise that there's no such thing as a free lunch, the successful ones realise that other people aren't always going to delight in your achievements and sometimes you just have to keep quiet about your successes.

so it was a shock to realize, they were way off the mark.(would have thought that the mocks would give them some idea of how things would go,but then again,she wasn't well during the mocks:rolleyes:).

If it was a shock they were way off the mark then they're both a bit delusional - and anyway best not to hype yourself and create unnecessary pressure. Re not being well, it does happen so wouldnt be routinely cynical on that one - but overall, realism should intrude on unrealistic "notions" and if it doesnt then that doesnt bode well for future choices ......

Believe me lots of parents put in trojan efforts with their kids and still can't get them to take an interest in schoolwork or exams,(like mine many years ago, for instance) so you are very lucky with your son in that regard. Or are you saying that all kids who don't achieve their potential in the leaving cert have irresponsible parents?

To be honest, I think both lots of students learn something from this. The disappointed ones realise that there's no such thing as a free lunch, the successful ones realise that other people aren't always going to delight in your achievements and sometimes you just have to keep quiet about your successes.
No I am not saying that, perhaps I didn't make myself clear..
What I mean is that the more effort I put in for my exams and the more he put in for his,the "luckier" we got..

Back