Healthcare costs - not insurance Laya opens a 7 day a week Urgent Care Centre

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Urgent Care Services
  • Open to the whole community - members and non-members aged 12months+
  • Walk-in urgent care treatment for minor injuries and illnesses
  • Open 10am - 10pm, 365 days a year
Cherrywood Business Park

You can contact the clinics by calling 1890 933 030.

Please note that urgent care treatment of minor injuries and illnesses is a walk-in service and does not require an appointment.

I can't find any information on charges.

What minor injuries and illnesses are treated?

What we treatWhat we don't treat
Sprains & StrainsChest pain & tightness
Minor fractures & dislocationsSevere abdominal pain
Minor burnsOpen & complex fractures
Cuts, scrapes & woundsWounds from serious weapon assault
Insect bites & rashesSevere breathing difficulties
Cough, cold, flu, sinus infectionInjuries caused by motor vehicle accident
AllergiesOverdose, poisoning or attempted suicide
Dehydration requiring IVRespiratory and/or cardiac arrest
Congestion & upper respiratory infectionsSeizure without previous diagnosis of Epilepsy
Urinary tract infectionSevere burns
Ear infections, earaches, ear wax removalSudden collapse or unexplained fall
Migraines & headachesVomiting blood
Asthma treatment Sudden onset of weakness, numbness or paralysis of the face, arm or leg
Bronchitis, wheezing & asthma attacksSuspected severe allergic reaction
Corneal abrasionsSuspected spinal injury
Nose bleedsUnconsciousness
Back painUncontrollable bleeding
Sore throat & step throatAll pregnancy related pain and conditions
Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting & stomach fluSevere eye or vision problems
High feverSevere lacerations

Ah, I didn't see those

a welcome addition for non life threatening ailments and saves patients from attending overcrowded public A&Es. Initial consultations are steep enough but I imagine tax relief can be sought on some of the costs for non private healthcare patients.

It will be interesting to see what charges people end up with ... have heard reports from people who used the Affidea clinics that they were being pushed into doing lots of tests \ followon consultations that they though were being pushed for revenue basis.

I had a fracture last month so I used this clinic and I have to say that I was really impressed with the service. All in all, I was in and out in about 90 minutes. During this time I was registered as a new patient, saw a triage nurse, saw a consultant/doctor, had an x-ray, saw the consultant/doctor (to review the x-ray) and got some strapping applied.

The follow up consultation was equally as efficient. I had another x-ray to see that the fracture was healing and then met with the consultant to review the x-ray. The fracture was healing as expected and I was given some exercises to do and was discharged. This took about 30 minutes.

Odyssey raises a valid point though regarding things being pushed on patients. During my first visit, the consultant/doctor recommended that I also use a walking boot and a crutch. I queried this with the nurse when he was doing the strapping, as I didn't feel I needed these, but as this was recommended, I took them.

There may have been a price list displayed in the clinic, but I didn't see it. From looking at the prices that Brendan pasted above, I may have been charged incorrectly for the follow up consultation. I was charged €250 for an x-ray and consultation, but based on "Brendan's figures", I should have been charged €170 i.e. €100 for x-ray and €70 for follow up consultation. I'll contact the clinic and query this.

Other than avoiding the queues, at substantially cheaper EDs, what's the advantage of this service?
In fact most of what Laya does treat can be dealt with by a GP or Caredoc and would cost about half the consultation fee LAYA charges.

For these things, if it happens during their opening hours, probably a public clinic such as this would be a better bet than ED for fractures, sprains etc
A lot of people seem to be unaware of this one in city centre.

• Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm
  • Sat - Sun: 10am - 6pm (closed on bank holiday Mondays)

How much in total did you pay?
Initial visit was €285 in total. As I have LAYA health insurance, they "paid" €125 towards this, so I paid the balance of €160.

The return consultation (x-ray and meeting with consultant) was €250, but based on the prices that Brendan posted, it should have been €170. I've just sent them a mail to see why there's a difference.

Initial visit was €285 in total. As I have LAYA health insurance, they "paid" €125 towards this, so I paid the balance of €160.

The return consultation (x-ray and meeting with consultant) was €250, but based on the prices that Brendan posted, it should have been €170. I've just sent them a mail to see why there's a difference.

So cheaper than a plumber so!

Just to update. The €250 I was charged for the return consult was correct. I saw an Orthopaedic Consultant and the fee for this is €150.

It certainly is on the expensive side, and I agree with other posters that this could have been deal with in a regular ED (but not necessarily with a GP as I required an x-ray). However, I was in and out in an hour and a half on the initial visit and another 30 minutes for the return consult, so a grand total of 2 hours and FREE parking. I dread to think how long I would have spent waiting in an ED. As well as that, I wasn't "really" sick, so I would have added to the congestion of ED's had I decided to go that route. I'm looking forward to getting a Christmas card from Simon Harris
;)

but not necessarily with a GP as I required an x-ray
A GP can give you a letter to get this done pretty much immediately in a public hospital as well but if there's a break you'll be sent straight to ED. AFAIK if you had a break in the Laya place they would send you to ED as well.

Back