Health Insurance Laya Health Insurance renewal

Highlight

I currently have health insurance Simply Health (Excess) with Laya and the renewal premium is €3276 for 2 Adults.I had one Hospital claim in 2015 and my average everyday claim payment for the last ten years is €200.This will now be reduced as we are on over 70 medical card.I rang Laya for alternatives and they offered Control 300 Create at €2500 p.a Connect Care 100 at €2900 p.a.Could anyone recommend which policy to go for or should I stay as I am.Thanks.

Hi Highlight,

I think that you are paying above the odds with Simply Health Excess at €3276 for two adults.

As you are both over 70 I think it is important to be fully covered for orthopaedic procedures if at all possible and all the plans you have mentioned have full cover for this.

I would suggest you give Connect Simplicity some consideration at €2720 for two. It ticks a lot of boxes at it's current price. You can compare this plan to your current plan on the renewal page of LAYA's website.

Thanks Riomhaire,I will have a look at that. The premium for Simply Health is actually €3176.

Be aware that Laya Simplicity has increased for those renewing from 1st Jan 2021. It’s over €3000. There is a separate thread on this specifically addressing Simplicity and other like policies.

You are absolutely correct, Eithneangela, Simplicity will cost €1535 per person from 01/01/2021. However Connect Simplicity is costing €1360 for the coming year - a saving of €350 per couple for taking on a small increase of €50 excess per inpatient claim. The annual family excess on everyday medical expenses is €1 with Connect Simplicity as opposed to €200 with Simplicity. This a further saving of €200 per couple. It is a plan worth consideration for those renewing on 01/01/2021

I review my Laya policy every year. Again I decided to stay on Control 300 Create as it offers the highest of private hospital cover with no excess on the outpatient cover for consultants or private scans.
Although the medical card offers free GP care you still have to 'go private' if you want to speed up getting a scan or seeing a consultant.
As the other poster said, compare them on the HIA.ie website and see what you think.

I put a Comparision here of Control 300 Create, Simply Health Excess and Connect Simplicity. Simply Health Excess has an added excess of a Per night Shortfall for Private Hospital Private room whereas the other two have just the once off excess payment for the entire stay.
Hope the link works!

What's the difference between Connect Simplicity and Simple Connect Plus?

Very similar, Simply Connect Plus looks better.
Simply Connect Plus has lower excess than Connect Simplicity on day cases.
Simply Connect Plus has excess on 1st hospital claim only, Connect Simplicity on 1st & 2nd claims only.
Simply Connect Plus has no maximum on some outpatient benefits versus 25 for Connect Simplicity e.g. physio

What's the difference between Connect Simplicity and Simple Connect Plus?

From 01/01/2021 Simply Connect Plus will cost €1406 for the year while Connect Simplicity will cost €1360.

A private room in a private hospital incurs a shortfall €165 per night with Simply Connect Plus whereas Connect Simplicity fully covers a private room in a private hospital. No excess/shortfall applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals with either plan.

The day case excess in private hospitals is €50 with Simply Connect Plus as opposed to €100 with Connect Simplicity.

The inpatient excess of €150 is only payable on the first private hospital claim per member per year with Simply Connect Plus whereas with Connect Simplicity it is payable on the first two private hospital claims per member per year.

It seems to me that if the private room in a private hospital is important then Connect Simplicity has that covered. Other than that there is very little difference between both these plans

Riomhaire, thank you very much for your insight. I was looking for significant differences but just got more addled by the minute.
Would Control 300 create be a better plan than the two mentioned above based on no excesses on consultant fees as Sadie outlined above. I know the €300 excess is higher but I don't mind that so much.

Riomhaire, thank you very much for your insight. I was looking for significant differences but just got more addled by the minute.
Would Control 300 create be a better plan than the two mentioned above based on no excesses on consultant fees as Sadie outlined above. I know the €300 excess is higher but I don't mind that so much.

Hi Saavy,

The annual cost for those renewing Control 300 Create on 01/01/2021 is €1251.

As it's name suggests the inpatient excess for every private hospital claim is €300.

The everyday medical expenses benefit is not quite as generous as that of Connect Simplicity.

For example Connect Simplicity offers a 50% return of Consultant's fees whereas Control 300 Create offers €80 per Consultant visit.

Having said all of that Control 300 Create is a very good plan and is worthy of serious consideration.

Hi
my friend who has just lost her husband has to renew her health insurance. She is 66 and dependents, current policy is laya company health plusno excess. what should she consider for renewal for same cover but better price. best regards. Midge

Hi
my friend who has just lost her husband has to renew her health insurance. She is 66 and dependents, current policy is laya company health plusno excess. what should she consider for renewal for same cover but better price. best regards. Midge

Hi MIDGET,

LAYA Company Health Plus No Excess is costing €2486 for the coming year. In my opinion this is quite expensive for what it offers.

The No Excess element is adding the guts of €1000 to the yearly premium.

If your friend were to choose Simplicity at a cost of €1535 for the coming year she would save €951 on the annual premium. The excess with this plan for a inpatient stay in a private hospital is just €100 per claim on the first two claims only.

A Day Case is treatment in a private hospital but not including an overnight stay incurs an excess of €50 on Simplicity.

Looking at a worst case scenario, even if your friend was hospitalised on more than two occasions and had also two day case procedures in the coming year the most she would pay in excesses would be €300 on the Simplicity plan.

Simplicity also has better outpatient everyday benefits.

There are other LAYA plans such as Simply Connect Plus and Connect Simplicity which deserve serious consideration however the excesses are slightly bigger.

In my opinion a saving of €951 with Simplicity without sacrificing on private accommodation is well worth serious consideration for the sake of taking on a small excess.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi MIDGET,

LAYA Company Health Plus No Excess is costing €2486 for the coming year. In my opinion this is quite expensive for what it offers.

The No Excess element is adding the guts of €1000 to the yearly premium.

If your friend were to choose Simplicity at a cost of €1535 for the coming year she would save €951 on the annual premium. The excess with this plan for a inpatient stay in a private hospital is just €100 per claim on the first two claims only.

A Day Case is treatment in a private hospital but not including an overnight stay incurs an excess of €50 on Simplicity.

Looking at a worst case scenario, even if your friend was hospitalised on more than two occasions and had also two day case procedures in the coming year the most she would pay in excesses would be €300 on the Simplicity plan.

Simplicity also has better outpatient everyday benefits.

There are other LAYA plans such as Simply Connect Plus and Connect Simplicity which deserve serious consideration however the excesses are slightly bigger.

In my opinion a saving of €951 with Simplicity without sacrificing on private accommodation is well worth serious consideration for the sake of taking on a small excess.

I hope this is helpful.
[/QUOTE

Hi Riomhaire
Thank you ever so much for your prompt reply, and my friend will most certainly look into these options.
Could i ask your opinion >.>>>
my husband and i live in the west
he is in 80 and me 66
we are on lay simply connect plan
concerns for possible cancer issues for me
he has controlled blood pressure
is this a good plan for us?
is there a better plan for the same price range?
would it be wise to pay for a private room in a private hospital?
looking forward seeing what light you can throw on this minefield.
best regards
MIDGET

Hi Riomhaire
Thank you ever so much for your prompt reply, and my friend will most certainly look into these options.
Could i ask your opinion >.>>>
my husband and i live in the west
he is in 80 and me 66
we are on lay simply connect plan
concerns for possible cancer issues for me
he has controlled blood pressure
is this a good plan for us?
is there a better plan for the same price range?
would it be wise to pay for a private room in a private hospital?
looking forward seeing what light you can throw on this minefield.
best regards
MIDGET

Hi MIDGET,

Simply Connect from LAYA is a very good plan and at at €1300 for 2021 represents very good value.

As regards upgrading to cover for a private room in a private hospital LAYA's Connect Simplicity at €1360 for 2021 is worth consideration as is Control 300 Create at €1251. However the excess with Control 300 Create is high at €300 per in-patient claim in a private hospital.

However you might not be eligible for the private room for two years if you are hospitalised with a pre-existing condition.

You would still be covered under the terms of your original policy for the the two years waiting time.

A new condition would not be subject to the this waiting time.

Before you contemplate upgrading your cover I would strongly advise you to speak to LAYA and get this issue answered in writing.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Hi MIDGET,

Simply Connect from LAYA is a very good plan and at at €1300 for 2021 represents very good value.

As regards upgrading to cover for a private room in a private hospital LAYA's Connect Simplicity at €1360 for 2021 is worth consideration as is Control 300 Create at €1251. However the excess with Control 300 Create is high at €300 per in-patient claim in a private hospital.

However you might not be eligible for the private room for two years if you are hospitalised with a pre-existing condition.

You would still be covered under the terms of your original policy for the the two years waiting time.

A new condition would not be subject to the this waiting time.

Before you contemplate upgrading your cover I would strongly advise you to speak to LAYA and get this issue answered in writing.

I hope this is helpful.

Back