Lawn and patio plants being up-rooted by the mut

it's the quality of the time you spend with your dog that counts, not the quantity.

Not as far as your dog is concerned - all time you spend with, near, or around a dog is quality time as far as the dog is concerned.

It bothers me when people use the behaviour of others to justify how they treat animals - as if the treatment of animals in Ireland is somehow 'the norm' - Ireland has in general an appalling attitude to animal welfare, on a par with many third world cultures.

most people leave their dogs at home during the day. We leave ours from 8am till 6pm - with a quick call at lunch time - and I know I'm not cruel. Some people mistake dogs as little people and they're not I'm afraid - as much as we think they are sometimes! They are more than capable of being left on their own for short periods.

Sorry, but how exactly did anyone infer that I was accusing anyone of being cruel? I simply suggested, as others have, that it sounds as if your dog is bored - collies in particular are intelligent, active dogs, requiring a lot of mental and physical stimulation, on a constant, ongoing basis.

Believe me, I am not mistaking dogs for little people - nor however, am I mistaking them for inanimate 'lifestyle' accessories, which is what you seem to be doing. A period of 9-5 being left alone, with a couple of hours interaction, then being left outside alone all night, is not sufficient for a young dog, no matter what you think 'most people' deem acceptable.

If you follow others' advice here and contact a dog trainer/behaviourist, or any animal welfare organisation, they will tell you as much.

If digging is to relieve boredom then he is no longer bored when he digs.

Digging is likely a manifestation of his boredom, not a bloody cure for it. Dogs and in fact most other pets can manifest boredom in many ways, including far more destructive ways than digging i.e. self mutilation through biting, excessive, obsessive grooming, feather pulling etc. When animals do these things, it is not a cure for boredom!

I don't mean to get at you, and am certainly not attacking you - I simply suggested that it could be boredom, and suggested one way to help both you and your dog. Others have suggested other ways, so check them all out.

Have not been taxing his brain but will do so straight away. Learned sit, stay, come & fetch reasonably easy. I would rate him as average dog in that regard. Will try some other commands. Farmer who bred him said he did not 'want' to work. Certainly wants to play. Never on a lead, except to walk over the electronic fence as is trained only to walk over when on a lead with us. Has daily evening walk/run/sniff/hunt around farm for about an hour while i do fencing/painting/wandering around fields looking at stock that are not my own/ usual farmer type of stuff (sorry real farmers). Take your point about his brain though. Will try get him to the piont of differential calculus as soon as his ability allows.:D First time I used a smilee. Can anyone tell me how to insert a quote from the pervious poster when i want to refer to one of their points?

Sherman, accept how digging could be a manifestation of boredom. The self mulitisation seems to indicate a greater degree of same or an even deeper problem. You suggested ways around the problem and I have already accepted them, and all suggestions by all posters, but as solutions to the digging problem. I see digging as a major problem for me and a minor one for my dog. If he ever did anything more disturbing for him or me, drascit action would be taken. Drive to my mothers every day and pick up after work etc.. I most certainly dont see him as lifestyle accessory. He is a best friend to us and we to him full stop. as best as we both can be to each other.

If animal welfare organisations would tell me that 9-5 alone is unacceptable then so be it. I am not cruel and of course did not suggest you implied I was.Just that I got the impression for a while that other posters were in danger of forming that impression for themselves

Wanted to say that it would be easier if I knew how to quote so I could address specific issues from specific posters, went to edit and there was a quote tool so I will try to use it next time.

poor beaky, you must be feeling a bit dug up yourself, I meant more sympathy, as in a king charles looks sweet but sweet f/a going on between the ears so probably easy to manage. A quick goo on google says like a previous poster he may need a mental challenge as much as excercise or company. Maybe an older dog for a friend would calm him down? or a cat might put manners on him? maybe a book would help, especially if you could teach him to read it
[broken link removed]

moneygrower said:
or a cat might put manners on him? [broken link removed]
I have not seem my poor old cat for 3 months. Think she was sick of the dog being at her. The book seems perfect. All about collies as pets and specifically asking, and presumably answering, the question "how can I keep my border collie from being destructive when im not at home?"

Now I have about 6 possible solutions to my problem. Thanks everyone. Will try them all if needs be. Also am trying out the quote tool.

So now I know how to adress specific statements without confusion.

I dont think your dog is bored, this is just something he likes doing. We got a dog and I was home all day and took him out for long walks, he still dug up all the flower pots and done as much damage as he possibly could in the time he was in the garden. He came in the house but we didn't want him in all the time, but anytime he did come in it was the same thing, tore up newspapers, ripped anything in sight. He chased all the cats away and they were too frightened to come for food as he always ate it.
In the end we had to get rid of him because of all the damage. I'm afraid some dogs are just like that whatever you do. The neighbours have a dog ( 12years old) well looked after and long walks twice a day (had him since he was 4years ) same thing, rip up the cushions etc. etc. Country area lots of space and not tied up. Not much you can do.

On "It's Me or the Dog" programme on C4, I saw two young dogs being entertained during the day with a bacon-flavoured bubble machine! The dogs were kept busy jumping around after the bubbles.

The presenter, who's a dog trainer, did get upset with the owners because they didn't walk the dogs enough - but by the sounds of things, you're giving your dog a lot of attention when you are around. Best of luck.

Swallows said:
Country area lots of space and not tied up. Not much you can do.

Thanks but I will be trying all the suggestions anyway

And as Homer Simpson would say...MMMMHHHHHHHHH Bacon flavour bubbles. FOOOOOOOD

Originally posted by Beaky
he gets very good attention from my wife and I and I fail to see how you can judge the quality of our attention to our dog.
It wasn't my intention to offend you or your wife on the care of your pet, I'm English and MOST pets are kept in at night, just wondered why yours wasn't. Maybe a doggy friend would help - might be a nightmare tho if you end up with another digger!!

No probs ACA. Got a bit prickly yesterday and shouldnt have. Thanks for your posts.

beaky said:
Can anyone tell me how to insert a quote from the pervious poster when i want to refer to one of their points?

Hi Beaky,

Simply hit the 'quote' button on the bottom right-hand corner of the posts. Just delete any of the post that is not relevant to your reply.

IMHO I would let the dog sleep indoors for a few nights and see if the situation improves. Nothing to lose. :)

After good behaviour since last thursday, mayhem this morning. Have not managed to catch him in the act. Took him for 6 mile cycle yesterday after intensive cerebral training sessions and attention all weekend long. Worst digging yet. One of the holes, 3 feet x 6 inches deep, in a flower bed was visually the worst as well as pots overturned and rooted through. As a quick fix i will have to restrict his area, perhaps lock him in his house at night. Think a second dog is a serious possibility now but we dont want dogs for the sake of it, want our present dog as a companion and would be happy with that. Will also talk to a professional trainer and take his/her advice. References would be welcome.

Hi beaky

We used Julie Holmes of www.tagnrye.com who was very good. (We have no connection with her other than being happy customers.) There are others listed here
[broken link removed]. It's a good idea to choose one who's a member of the APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) as they only use humane, reward-based methods. Other trainers may do too of course.

I'd agree with sueellen on letting him sleep indoors for a few nights. It's certainly worth a try. You certainly seem to be trying everything though!

Good luck. I'd be very interested to hear how to get on and I hope that you get it sorted out.

Thanks Hotlips. Have emailed Tagnrye to ask what service they could provide or advice. I might bump the thread in a few weeks to give an update if moderators permit that.

Just to let you all know the dog has been much better behaved in the last month. Got some email tips from www.tagnrye.com , (many thanks) and implemented all tips I got here. Of course not sure which worked and which are unnecessary. Still digging a bit (once a week) but confined to one flowerbed, which is no longer a flowerbed but a digging bed. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Hi becky,
I came across your question today, this is what was recomended in the book sitstayfetch , to cure digging.

A good idea is not to let him be with you when you are doing the gardening. He may decide that what is okay for you to do is okay for him as well. You could try neutering or spaying your dog which will have the effect of reducing the drive that they have for digging up your garden.
A clever method is to bury a couple of balloons in your backyard. Lead your dog to the area and get him to dig. The noise of the balloon exploding should deter him from digging!

We have 2 puppies, and I have noticed since they have been neutered, they do not dig as much.

Good luck,

Back