Late Late Show - Pat Kenny, time to go?

The way that the law is phrased would mean that this is technically correct but, as far as I know, in practice they only enforce it if you have equipment specifically designed for reception (e.g. a TV or a PC with a tuner card etc. versus a coat hanger or iron in your blood etc.).

Indeed. :D

Worth bearing in mind that a satellite dish or aeriel would be construed as "reception equipment" - telling the Licensing man that your TV broke down & you haven't replaced it won't cut it!

I can't claim credit here. Somebody else here on AAM ages ago used the "iron in the blood as TV receiving device" idea first.

hmmm .... must be one of very few threads with the word "iron" that you're not responsible for! ;)

Worth bearing in mind that a satellite dish or aeriel would be construed as "reception equipment" - telling the Licensing man that your TV broke down & you haven't replaced it won't cut it!

That's the sort of thing I was getting at BTW.

What if you said,truthfully, that you e.g. "moved in 6 months ago and don't have, or haven't ever owned a TV" ? In this case would the onus have been on you to dismantle or remove the "reception equipment"?

That's the sort of thing I was getting at BTW.

What if you said,truthfully, that you e.g. "moved in 6 months ago and don't have, or haven't ever owned a TV" ? In this case would the onus have been on you to dismantle or remove the "reception equipment"?

One of many grey areas, Caveat.
I'd say that if you could prove you had just moved in, and the previous occupant confirmed he'd left a dish on the wall - which Sky tell you to do, of course! - he'd give you a little time to take it down.
Showing the inspector your TV'less living room would probably help alleviate his "natural" suspicions.
But yes, I'd say the onus would be on you to remove it.

Indeed. :D

Licencing man?!
Is he the man that goes through the database and visits all the homes that don't pay a licence to see if he can make you.
Or is he the man who only goes to a house, business etc.. if he recieves a report of an unregistered tv there?

I think they do spot checks on residential/business addresses which do not appear on their register (on the assumption that some of these are likely to have an unlicensed TV). We got a call years back after we moved into the (new) house but because we have always had a license I guess we don't get flagged for a visit.

Licencing man?!
Is he the man that goes through the database and visits all the homes that don't pay a licence to see if he can make you.
Or is he the man who only goes to a house, business etc.. if he recieves a report of an unregistered tv there?

Don't know if every area is the same.
My own experience.......was renting a house in Mayo a fair few years ago, whilst the seller was sorting some details out so that I could buy it. Only mail I was getting was the ESB bill. Until I started getting regular mail, in my name, asking me whether I should have a TV licence. No satellite dish or aeriel at the house. Was a rental house with no previous permanent occupants.
The issue of whether ESB should be passing my details on is one thing, and a seperate issue, but there IS a definite presumption that if there's a house, there's a TV.
Still, they were happy days. I'd never even heard of Pat Kenny then.:D

The issue of whether ESB should be passing my details on is one thing
Who says that this happened? Could the An Post/TV license crowd have acted on foot of a new PRTB registration or something like that?

Who says that this happened? Could the An Post/TV license crowd have acted on foot of a new PRTB registration or something like that?

Nope, Clubman. The arrangement was entirely informal, no records anywhere. I was just paying him a few bob a week so I could start putting in furniture etc, which meant he couldn't rent it out to anyone else.
So, to me, either the ESB passed on the info, or the Post Office person took the info from my mail.

Nope, Clubman. The arrangement was entirely informal, no records anywhere. I was just paying him a few bob a week so I could start putting in furniture etc, which meant he couldn't rent it out to anyone else.
So, to me, either the ESB passed on the info, or the Post Office person took the info from my mail.
Could you have signed up for/purchased anything over the internet that would allow companies to retrieve your name and new address?

[I realise this thread is going off topic]

Could you have signed up for/purchased anything over the internet that would allow companies to retrieve your name and new address?

[I realise this thread is going off topic]

Nope. I wasn't living there, all my details were at another address. Only had the ESB so I had heat & lights while I was working on the house.
No other bills,no phone line, no other post, not even junk mail.

(Add my own apologies for this off-topic stuff. I was actually happier slagging Pat Kenny!)

The problem with the Late Late is that it tries to be everything to all men.

Politics should be left to Prime Time. Music and the arts should be left to The View.

The Jonathan Ross show is a success, because, it is purely an entertainment show, has good guests most nights, is often non-politically correct and the host doesn't take himself too seriously. Parkinson is basically the best interviewer on TV and has a great rapport with most guests, allowing them to speak openly.

The Late Late served it's purpose when Ireland was a repressed, church-ruled and enclosed state. Ireland has moved on. Perhaps, if Ryan Tubridy had the guests earmarked for the Late Late he would have a good show? David Guest was on his show the other night and it was pathetic and embarassing!

Pat Kenny is very good on the radio, his intelligence alows him to really get to the nitty gritty of serious subjects and on TV should front a Channel 4 News or Frost On Sunday type program. Miriam O'Callaghan would be wasted on The Late Late in it's current format. Gerry Ryan, while entertaining on 2FM, is non-telegenic and is more suited to downmarket tabloid TV. He is probably the poor man's Jonathan Ross, a very expensive one at that. Carrie Crowley might be interesting. Eamon Dunphy is doing a poor imitation of her excellent radio show of a few years ago.

Scrap the Late Late altogether and promote Ryan Tubridy to present a Jay Leno or David Letterman type entertainment show with real guests.

Scrap the Late Late altogether and promote Ryan Tubridy to present a Jay Leno or David Letterman type entertainment show with real guests.

While these type shows are very entertaining, the are completely 'braindead'!
You learn nothing from them and the celebs talk like robots after being programmed by their agents along side America's (apparent) heavy 'Constrictions' on speaking your mind. (They start off with something along the lines of: "Well, ahhm, My character is just a little bit more dramatic in this movie....") <-- Say that in an American accent and you should get it.

No, I would not like Tubridy to turn into the Late Show, or Late Night! It's too false and is un-Irish i think. We need to promote the realness of our people like Podge and rodge style, you know, alerting the country to the fakeness that is on the entertainment markets of today. Obviously the LLS could be like P&R only a more polite version, that'd be great!

promote Ryan Tubridy to present a Jay Leno or David Letterman type entertainment show with real guests.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the many things I dislike about Tubridy is his fake bookshelves & studio band.

If I want to watch a Letterman/Leno type show, I'll watch Letterman or Leno.

Tubridy hasn't the wit or ability to entertain like Leno or O'Brien, he should be partnered up with Podge and Rodge to do a Saturday semi-pantomine.

Pat Kenny does politics and serious stuff, talking with Scary Spice about her latest antics must absolutely kill him, or worse still, Jordan.

I wonder would Hector be any good at presenting a major show? He's intelligent, funny and the only problem I foresee is that he'd rip stuck up guests apart!

Whatever about the merits of Pat Kenny Like him or loathe him he does not come across as beign fake but Ryan Turbidy whoa its not that he does not know he does not even suspect how fake his show is

kenny has two main problem - he doesn't do "common" (although he knows he needs to) and he can't bear the thought of any of his guests knowing anything he doesn't. (I've heard it said that the reason he gets paid twice as much as any other presenter is that he also answers his own questions).

I think the problem with the LLS is its format. It's had its day. A serious current affairs type show would suit his talents better. The trivial, he could leave to pretenders like Tubridy and Ryan.

But he just won't let it go..............

Kenny just has not the talent of Gay Byrne. Gay done it for many years, ten times better than Kenny, and for a fraction of the money Kenny + co cost us licence payers now.

Back