Landbridge - destination France

M

Martin

Looking into 2005 campsite booking in France.

Driving down only 60 miles from Roscoff into Brittany so journey in France relatively short.

Anyone done Landbridge say Rosslare to Pembroke/Fishguard and drive down to Plymouth for crossing with Brittany Ferries to Roscoff.

Would you think it easy enough drive through England
and would it be financially worthwhile as opposed going direct from Cork to Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.

Thanks

Be aware that it takes about 5 hours to drive from Fishguard to Plymouth
cheers,
Diziet

Martin,

Not familiar with the trip that you mention but it might be worthwhile to mention the time of year in case people are aware of relevant factors i.e. delays on motorways etc. etc.

Would be going around 25/6/05 and returning around mid-July.

Fr.

You should allow at least 12 hours to do the trip. t takes 2 days from your holidays. Is it worth the saving? I dont think so. You could go outwards through UK and return directly to Ireland!

Re: Fr.

We done it last year not by choice on the return journey because of strike and we are going to do it again at Christmas because of the cancellation of the route Ireland/France by Irish ferries in December and to be honest I prefer the direct route. Via landbridge uk, the connection between the ferries are usually not very suitable you always end up spending a lot of time waiting for your ferry, in addition to the cost of the ferry don't forget to add the cost of the petrol and it is not cheap in the UK, it is a very tiring journey and if you have small children it is very long for them. My choice will be the direct route as it is stree free and if you wish you can sleep during all the journey, better to be on a boat (if the crossing is not too bad) than spending in a car which children asking every 5 minutes are we there yet ???.
The saving you are making is very small if any and to small for being rewarding

Thank you all for your help.

Based on what I'm reading i will stick to the direct route with Brittany Ferries Cork to Roscoff.

Martin

Sailed direct route this year - Ringaskiddy to Roscoff. There's no way I'd even consider the landbridge. Take a night-sailing over and include a cabin in your package - better to sleep away some of the hours than drive as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone driven Folkstone to Holyhead and if so how long did it take?

No personal experience of this but the ViaMichelin route planner (www.viamichelin.com) suggests it takes 6 hours ... but (and it's a big but) you've got to go round the M25 London orbital Motorway and other busy motorways in the London area and in the West Midlands too ...so that could add a huge amount of time stuck in traffic dependent on the time of day etc.

Michaelm

I did the Holyhead-Poole route two years ago and never again - It took about 8 hrs. Most of the problems start when you leave the motorway - minor roads can congest quickly.

Direct route anymore for me.

Slim 8)

Holyhead - Folkestone

michaelm,

I have done it twice - I was heading to the Alps and Italy once and to Lille the 2nd time. On my return journey the last time from Lille - the following was my timetable:

Leave Lille - 07.10
Arrive Dover - 09.10
Stop at Maidstone Service for 75mins
Stop at Stafford Service 1.15 hrs
Arrive Holyhead 16.35

In my view if you are heading down the East Side of France or into the rest of Eupope then this is the way to go - however Cork/Roscoff on Brittany Ferries is my choice for West of France.

holyhead-folkestone

any advise re driving in france? Have hired car in spain but would like to bring mine over to france next year thanks

Re: Driving in France

Driving in France is generally easier than driving here. The roads are very good, well signed etc. You will have to put deflectors on your headlights and carry a spare set of lightbulbs and a warning triangle.

Slim 8)

Re: Holyhead - Folkestone

Thanks Shaggy. I am hoping to do something like . .
Brittany Ferries, Cork to Roscoff overnight then drive about 6/7 hours south and stay for 5 days then cross France, with an overnight stop, to near Nice for another 5 days then down a bit passed Barcelona for another 5 days to attend a family wedding. My return plan sees me drive to Narbonne and get an overnight Motorail to Calais, the Eurotunnel to Folkestone and then drive maybe 7 hours to Holyhead for a Swift ferry to Dublin port. I'm just trying to work out if its all do-able.

Re: Holyhead - Folkestone

michaelm: I’ve always got good deals on the Chunnel when I booked it and the Dublin / Holyhead leg with Irish Ferries. When I tried to book it directly with Eurotunnel it was much more expensive. So I’m not certain that you would get the same deal if you book it yourself or with Brittany Ferries. It’s no problem driving from Folkestone to Holyhead in one go. The Swift sailing departs Holyhead at 20:15 so you’ve plenty of time, and remember you gain an hour when you get back to the UK. Just be sure to fill up the car in France as petrol is much cheaper and have a 1 pound sterling coin to pay the toll on the Dartford crossing.

Back