Land law - registering an easement before the deadline in November

Gerryobrien

Hi there. I have been reading various articles about changes on the law in relation to the old system of acquiring certain rights by prescription over other people's land, like rights of way. There is an explanatory article on it online which I am unable to post, but if you search for 'registering an easement' you will probably see what I mean. I would like to register my right to light before the deadline in November of this year. I live in a city and am lucky enough to have an old house with uninterrupted light in front of a plot of land which I am sure will be earmarked for development. It is not state owned and I have plenty of proof that the light has been enjoyed by my land for probably 60 years plus. I am a bit worried about the trend towards high density / skyscraper developments although I know there is a social need for housing, which is not the issue here, nor do I want to get into that debate!
My question is, has anybody actually done such an application and will it be worth the paper it's written on if granted?
It seems a bit too good to be true.

Back