L- plates removed,is this common ?

My son, who's just 18 and has a full licence thankfully, hasn't been asked for his licence once, event hough stopped a few times on regular checkpoints for tax/insce.

Why on earth aren't drivers required by law to carry their license with them when driving? Seems to me this could solve a lot of problems. Ask to see the license. If no license is produced, issue a 1K fine. If a provisional license/learner permit is produced with no L-plates display or the driver is unaccompanies, then issue a 1K fine also.

Surely this would be an effective way to police the recent clampdown. Or am I missing something here?

why would the Gards bother,they regularly break the road laws themselves,i saw a garda car yesterday doing at least 80 in a sixty on a dual carriage way,the cars in front of it didn't slow,the cars behind kept up with it,all of em exceeding the limit by a huge amount,no blue light on.

Life isn't always fair nor just, but it's still incumbant on us all to obey the laws to the best of our ability.

Young couple that live opposite me... for last three years both cars have had 'L' plates displayed... suddenly they have both disappeared...

Must have both passed their tests on the same day as each other and... just by chance... on the same day the crack-down began too...

Funny coincidence that...

Yes removing the L- plates seem's to be the popular thing to do at the moment,and it seems that the new rules are encouraging people to do this, as it now seem's permit drivers assume they are less likely to be stopped when they drive without them, than when they have them displayed.

They already are required to do so.

I thought if you didn't have your license with you, you were given an opportunity to present it at a Garda station?

It doesn't matter anyway, because there'll be inadequate policing of this, as with most other laws!

I thought if you didn't have your license with you, you were given an opportunity to present it at a Garda station?

It doesn't matter anyway, because there'll be inadequate policing of this, as with most other laws!

It was brought in as a legal requirement a few years ago to have the licence with you when driving. I've been driving 29 years and have never been asked for licence.

Back