kitchen table disaster!!

onway

Got a bit carried away cleaning the kitchen table with 'cif ' and have taken some of the varnish off !!!Any idea what I can do with it now - it looks awful - patchy - dull in places and shiny in others.Help!!!!

If it is a wooden table you could sand it down then apply a coat of wood stain. I am just about to attempt this myself. Purchased a mini hand sander in Atlantic Home Care about €18. The plane is to paint/wax/distress the legs and paint cream/off white and have a pine/oak stain on the surface. Got a book from the library about painted Scandinavian furniture. I'm sick of the old mahogany look.

pls dont tell me you are going to kill a mahogany table - that is a crime! Sell/give the table to someone & buy yourself a nice shiney new pine table.

If pine:

Rub down all over with steel wool, 00 grade. wipe of with damp cloth, when dry give 4 or 5 coats of Danish oil or Tung oil, applying with a clean lint free rag, allowing to dry between coat, finish with good quality beeswax polish.

If mahogany:

See previous post........

If the underlying wood (mdf) is not worth retaining, then you could consider painting the table, i.e. blue or green, give it a farmhouse look.

I did this aswell a few years back - what on earth is in Cif!!! I just sanded it down and revarnished. It came up as good as new. I never went near CIf on the table again!!!!!

You might try generously coating in normal mayonnaise, leave overnight and rub off in the morning.
I have removed coffee rings and ink stains from tables with mayonnaise

Thanks for all the advice. Table has been sanded and varnished and looks presentable again!

Back