Kitchen Nightmares

decembersal

I ordered a fitted kitchen from a Dublin based company in November 2004 and paid the full amount up front as requested by the company. (Bad move, would advise against this!) The installation of the kitchen, which commenced in mid-December, was scheduled to be completed within a three day period, with the granite worksurface to be fitted in the first week of January. With much difficulty, the kitchen was completed in mid-April. Whole process was a nightmare.

I am now looking for a refund from the company for services which were verbally described and paid for, but which were subsequently not delivered. However, the company has now altered the description of these services which I requested a refund for, to services that i had previously paid for and which they had delivered. They have also falsely claimed that I prevented them from delivering other services for example installation of an oven. Apparently in a fit of enthusiam I fitted this myself before i gave them a chance!!

My query is what are my chances of successfully taking a case against the company when it will basically come down to my word against their word, with very little, if anything, in writing to support my case? Also would i have a case on the basis that if nothing else, the fitting of the kitchen completely over ran time wise? Any advice??

The fact that they were verbally described might be an issue ...

I am not expert on these thing though but if you get no joy on askaboutmoney you could try "The Spend" ...which is a programme aired on RTE 1 every Saturday morning...
[broken link removed]

I hope you get some joy out of the company .....

Zar

Hi decembersal

The purchase of a kitchen is not required to be in writing. A contract may be oral (as in your case), in writing (purchase of house for example or purchase of goods on hire purchase) or by action (purchasing goods in a shop for example)

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 would cover your purchase. You would need to be very clear on what was actually agreed between you and the other party of the items which actually formed the contract.

This detail is vital if you are thinking of taking a claim to perhaps the Small Claims' court for some services not provided as per agreement.

You should contact [broken link removed]. They will be able to advise you.

Marion

Back