Kids with mobile phones in schools?

How about we just tag the kids with some sort of gps tracker :)

The firefly seem like a good idea. simple device that cannot harm or be abused.

Re: Kids with mobile phones in schools????

It's just reassuring that he is able to call me when and if he needs to without needing permission from his minder. To be honest we don't even use it that much, it's just something that makes me happier. I posted here before I got it to find out what options there might be to keep tabs, and this was suggested.
Of course I know pretty much where he is when he's outside - he is allowed to play on teh green but it is quite a large area. And he of course checks into the house regularly when he's outside playing in the summertime, and isn't allowed into anyone's house. In the winter it's not even an issue, they are either at home or at an organised activity like sport.
At the same time, I'm a single parent, working fulltime and studying part time, and also trying to decorate a house on my own - we're not together as much as I'd like, there is only so much one person can do, and this is a little link for us.

edited to add: I don't think the school has a rule on phones, if they do I'm not aware of it. He does make sure it's switched off during the schoolday, and of course the beauty of the firefly is you control the calls in and out, so only family and his minder for example are allowed to call it and they know he is in school...

Yes - Im not knocking the idea of it for a 9 year old child - I was just thinking aloud on the subject more than anything. I agree that the firefly is a good set up - with the calls being controlled.

I think with mobile phones (as with a lot of other things) there is no reason why we shouldnt use technology to help us out, but it is important to be careful that WE are using it for the right reasons (and not just because we couldnt be bothered walking up to our child and checking on him/her) and also that the children are taught to respect and use it correctly - in the case of the firefly I think its pretty foolproof that way, but back to the title of the thread - children can and do use mobile phones in school when the school expressly forbids it and then sometimes parents cry 'but thats not fair i want to be able to contact my child whenever i want' - which is not a responsible usage of technology.

i do have an idea that would solve a lot of the school issues - a phone that can be set to be OFF during certain hours - perhaps the setting to do this is only accessible using a password that the billholder (the parent) knows. That way the phone CANT be switched on during school hours.
If one IS developed remember - you heard it here first!!

When the mosquito ring-tone was popular they were using that and of course the teacher (being older) wouldn't be able to hear it; but to teens who can hear it, the noise is dreadful. Didn't take teachers long to spot all the turning heads and grimacing faces to locate the culprit! :)
Lol! :D

When I were a lad, we had to make do with just humming in class to drive the (student) teachers mad.

Re: Kids with mobile phones in schools????

i do have an idea that would solve a lot of the school issues - a phone that can be set to be OFF during certain hours - perhaps the setting to do this is only accessible using a password that the billholder (the parent) knows. That way the phone CANT be switched on during school hours.
If one IS developed remember - you heard it here first!!

The numbers can be programmed directly into the phone, or input via a website for which there is a charge.
I'd say it wouldn't take much additional development to put a block on the times that the phone can be called to or from.
It might take a bit more work to programme it to actually switch off though.

A block would do it - hey Mel me and you can make millions claiming it was our idea when someone does it :)

i agree that its great to be able to contact your kids whenever you want, but its also important to respect school rules etc too.

All schools have a landline phone that is accessible to students if they need to contact home in an emergency or vice versa.

What is interesting is that in many cases there is nobody available at home to pick up the children who are ill and they have to stay at school under the care of their teacher until they would normally leave.

Marion

Back