Kicthen Worktops - Solid Wood

darraghdog

Any ideas where is a good place to buy beech solid wood worktops for a kitchen ?
I was about to buy it with B&Q alongwith my kitchen, until I saw www.woodworkers.ie/ offer thicker worktops for about 30% cheaper. Any other ideas where they can be picked up ?
- Darragh

They mention a delivery service on their website, might be worth asking them how much?

I know this is probably not much help unless you have a van and a free weekend, but the beech worktops from IKEA are very good. I fit one in a kitchen a couple of years back and doubled the apparant thickness with a narrow strip on the front edge plus added a low backboard. Looks marvellous for what it cost.

That woodworkers place in Terenure looks great - works out way cheaper than what the Panelling Centre charge as well. Do you think the quality is ok?

I just ordered three worktops; I had not actually though about the quality. I have just checked and it looks like they source it from these folks [broken link removed] in Denmark ... I shall let you know when they come through in two or three weeks.

There is a place near ashbourne dont know name but is where kitchen makers go , open to public aswell,

Surely Noyeks next Joe Duffy Motors would have everything your looking for, no idea on prices though?

I like the idea of these but have heard horror stories about maintenance and general upkeep of them. Has anyone any experience?

Rebecca

I agree with Erith's post, IKEA's timber worktops are top .They offer them now as well in oak . But keep in mind to maintain them by either waxing or oiling them on a regular base .

Maintenance is not such a big issue, we had an iroko worktop and all it took was a quick rub with something to really clean it and then just pour some of the oil on and rub it in with a cloth. Then let it dry in over night and it looks great again. We had a sink inset into it so that area was done a bit more often every couple of months will do. Care of it is more important with no hot surfaces put on it or no cutting on it.

Back