Key Post: Fireplaces

Re: >>New Fireplace

Some other posts

Sinead C
fireplace renovation

Hi all - does anyone have advice, please on renovating an old fireplace? It's a cast iron fireplace, dating from around 1895 according to the seller. It's been painted over in white paint, but I don't know if that's lead based or not. Apart from that it's in good nick, so what I really need to know is how to get the paint off safely, and what to use to bring it back to its former, jet black, glory!

Fingalian
Fireplace Renovation

You could get it 'dipped' in a place that strips paint off furniture.....safest for you but also the most expensive.Burn it off with a blow torch ....best to do that outside .You could do it yourself using a something like Nitro Mors paintstripper...but wear rubber gauntlets and eye protection and work in a well ventilated room.It is a very messy business.
I did one in about 5 hrs ,working for about an hour a night, used an awl to pick out the paint around the raised decoration, rubbed it down with steel wool and put on a coat of flat black paint. I think you would need to use stove paint if you intended to use it as a working fireplace.
The paint stripper worked great on the more modern paints ( I think because they were cellulose based) but as I worked back through the layers ( and years) it became less effective. The last three coats I just chipped off with a paint scraper and the awl. I did it in an outside shed with no heat in the middle of winter and the colder it got the easier the older paint came off! Something to do with thermal contraction in the cast iron maybe???
It is a tedious job.

How much should I expect to pay for an Adams style surround and gas fire? If this is too expensive, I will probaly fit an electric one which will not need use of the flu/chimney.

Is there an effective way of sealing the flu/chimney to avoid heatloss/downdraughts in such a way that it can be undone if I do decide to fit a vented fire?

Re: >>New Fireplace

Buckley's fireplaces somewhere up near Johnny Foxes .

Great range of fireplaces and they offer a very professional service, they took out our 2 horrible fireplaces and put in two new ones in the space of a few hours with absolutly no mess.
Highly recommend them

Anyone had any experience of a resin fireplace? Would you recommend one?

What should I expect to pay for:

Resin surround open fire with cast iron insert.
Wooden surround gas fire with cast iron insert.

Fitted, commissioned and including VAT.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

GG

Does anyone have one of the wide landscape (looks like a widescreen tv) built in fireplaces? What are the issues to look out for. The room is not built yet - just at the thinking stage! It will be a gas fire. (not natural).

Marion :hat

Re: >>Door handles

We bought from that crowd in Limerick I think (or clare possibly) and the quality is grand, have the handles 1 year now and they are spot on.
Can't seem to find the page now.

Re: >>Fireplaces

I Found the receipt for this when looking for something else.
Very good Fireplaces and door handles prices. We got door handles and they are very good. e-mail [email protected] and they send a colour list. If spending over 130 euro deli free. 086-3466874 or 086-2998316 fax 061-380984. Those details are 2004 April. Might get a fireplace when SSIA comes in :)

Hi Sueellen, I'm just getting quotes myself at the moment for fireplaces. Got a guys name in Navan that can make up anything you like. He sent me wood samples this morning. His name is Mark and his number is 086 385 7829. He was recommended to me by a friend of mine.

Am also about to be in the market for a fireplace. My blocklayer has started on the chimney breast at 1950 wide.

Current thinking from she who must think she is obeyed is that we're going for marble or stone, although that may change again.

So - can anyone recommend a dealer/manufacturer who can do more than the standard sizes, preferably in marble/stone?

Thanks

Hi,
have you looked at www.fireplaceworld.iethey are located in Ashbourne. This is really cheeky, but, are you planning on getting rid of your old fireplace? its just that my builder broke my 1970's fireplace yeaterday and I want to replace it with something similar and not surprisingly no one seems to sell them. I phoned one crowd and they told me to look in a skip!

Emma

sueellen said:
Hi,

anyone got any recommendations for where to get a new fireplace and what type of fireplace to get? I am in Sth. Co. Dublin. I currently have a disused open fire with surrounding ugly marble fireplace (early 70's style). I want something new.

The fashion is for those hole-in-the-wall style ones that don't have any surrounding fireplace i.e. just a closed gas fire with some glass front (I presume they vent up the chimney)

My questions:

1 - what is the most thermally efficient solution?
2 - what's a good balance between purchase price, installation price and thermall efficiency?
3 - where is a good place to make the purchase?

All help appreciated?

Hi emcdonnell2,

Welcome to AAM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the post you refer to was not actually done by myself. It merely changed to my name as Moderator of this forum when we moved from our previous board - ezBoard.

Hope you find something suitable. :)

The Fireplace Centre in Palmerstown (off the m50 cant miss it look for the Irish trading Company sign) the fireplaces are stunning and is resonable priced, does have gas and electric fires also stoves,good value for money, and you can see what your buying,they also fit the fireplaces.
Store number 016202010 Dublin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back