Jack o Connors qualifications

And for the salary that JOC is on I would have expected him not to act so unprofessionally..

Regarding any comment I make re Jack O Connor,I can say that they are all in relation to the office he holds and when someone is in a position of power and has the wherewithall to bring the country to a stop,I dont see why people would not have an interest in that persons backround.

No matter whom holds the office I would still feel that I should be allowed to question their qualifactions/backround.

I think it is a cheap shot to say that the man himself is being attacked,and a clever way of stopping a disscusion..

This is all about opinions and people differ.

If for example Brian cowen had left school at 15,hadnt bothered to educate himself at a later date ,to me that would smell of someone who must be in control and doesnt like authority.I do not feel that this would be a personal attack,but a way of understanding the person whom holds the office,where they are coming from,and may even explain their behavior and regardless of whom they are, I would feel the same.

Compare it to an article written by a journalist,I would imagine that one would need to know where the person is coming from,to see how balanced their article is.

I know for a fact that in many private companys union reps are given a lot of time off to attend meetings they are paid by the private companys and yet do not hold down the real job that they were originally employed for ,but hold down a full time union rep job,This is what I mean about a "real job",however I cannot speak for how others view this.
Also it is important to remember that he may well have five degrees 5 masters for all we know...

I must correct you , Jack O'Connor does not have the power to initiate strike action , SIPTU can only initiate strike action if mandated to do so by it's members , again you are attempting to individualise matters.
All you really need to know is that Mr. O'Connor is the democratically elected Genral President of SIPTU.
His background and education are not issues.
I was a union rep for many years in a private company and attended many meetings in and out of office hours and still managed to do my job as did all the other reps I knew.
Indeed Management were only too happy to have reps trained as it suited both parties to be able to deal swiftly and centrally with IR issues.

It would work for the public servants he represents.

The point was made on the programme, though, that the levels of additional tax required to balance the books would be such that the burden on public servants would be as bad. I don't know how true this would be actually be given that the tax burden on private sector workers would also increase.

All you really need to know is that Mr. O'Connor is the democratically elected Genral President of SIPTU.

Thats the point. He was elected by members of SIPTU. Last time I looked they don't represent the majority of workers in this Country (nor does the whole trade union movement) and yet they think it is their place to try and bring the Country to a standstill to try and bully a democratically elected Government into accepting their demands with regard to the Country's fiscal policies so that the interests of their members are protected at the expense of everyone else.

Couldnt agree with you more...

Unions exist to protect and enhance where possible the terms and conditions of it's members.
Governments govern and unions respond or not as mandated by their members.

I think it is a cheap shot to say that the man himself is being attacked,and a clever way of stopping a disscusion..

This is all about opinions and people differ.

It's not stopping debate, I expressed a discomfort with how it was progressing because the focus on JOC as an individual was to me preventing debate, diluting the debate and taking focus away from the more important issue: the substance (or lack of) in his demands.

This has nothing to do with his house, education, suit or resemblance to Joseph Stalin.

My post was about bringing the debate back to where it should be focussed. However, we now have supposition on how expensive his suit is, whether or not he holds a real job and the issue of union officials acting as per the Constitutional and legal rights. And so we no longer discuss the issue at hand of what is the most practicable method of cutting the public sector spending while trying to ensure a standard of service.

And I'd agree, everyone has opinions but I wouldn't say that's always a good thing. No opinion whatsoever is so sacred that if there's no logic or reasoning to it, someone can't disagree and point of the flaws of the argument.

Unions exist to protect and enhance where possible the terms and conditions of it's members.
Governments govern and unions respond or not as mandated by their members.

Exactly so why do they spout all their rubbish about fairness and a 'just society' when all they care about is protecting their members terms and conditions.

I can't believe I'm defending unions...but...

Employees have a right to representation through membership of a union. The social partnership set up (which despite its faults in the last years of the Celtic Tiger had a significant impact on getting us to the boom years in the first place) gives employees (via congress) to give their views on social and economic policy.

However, in this case that is irrelevant. It is no different to any other industrial dispute where cuts are to be discussed. The employees affected are the public and civil service and it is their unions who are representing their views to their employer. It just so happens that first, their employer is the State and that their views (though mixed) is generally: "keep your hands off my pay you damned dirty ape".

This is outside social partnership and is between employer and employee. It just so happens that if the employees engage in industrial action it means the withdrawl of certain public services and it just so happens that the employer is the State.

I have nothing against union representation if that is what is people want. This is not a normal despute between employer and employee though because the Union movement is openly suggesting (with the threat of strike action janging over our heads) on how the Government should tax every citizen of this Country to protect their members.

Trade Unions don't go into a private company and annouce they are not suffering cuts and therefore the company should raise the price of the product that they sell to pay for it because they know it wouldn't work.

Social Partnership worked before the Celtic Tiger but in the end it destroyed this Country. The only reason it survived was that Bertie Ahern bought off the Unions at every turn. Now we have to pay the price.

A minority of unions are suggesting the tax increase, it is by no means a universal view.

But it really is a typical industrial dispute, it's just the parties involved affect more people than a standard private sector one.

As for tactics used to get the best protection for employees. Look, what you go in with before the discussion and what you're prepared to settle for are two vastly different things and that's on both sides of the table. While private sector employees generally do not have the ability to hold a country to ransom, they do still make sometimes unreasonable demands to an organisation prior to any discussion on cuts. Many will not entertain any notion in cuts no matter how desperate the circumstances.

Very well said..

A minority of unions are suggesting the tax increase, it is by no means a universal view.

It's an ICTU position so not sure you can say it is the minority of unions! Are you sure you don't want to defend them!

It's an ICTU position so not sure you can say it is the minority of unions! Are you sure you don't want to defend them!

I'm defending again, but technically this is incorrect. You stated:
the Government should tax every citizen of this Country to protect their members
ICTU are saying increase taxes but only for the "rich" or "high earners". It was suggested that everyone should pay more tax and keep current levels in the PS and CS the same. However, this isn't the view of most unions (or even union members).

Indeed, the ICTU position isn't unversally accepted hence seeing different unions voicing their own opinion.

I agree, the private sector has an in-built corrective mechanic i.e. bad managenment and/or militant unions will ultimately lead a business to a point where it must radically change if it is to survive. Where this doesnt happen, the business will almost certainly fail - and close. In the PS, bad management and militant unions have had free reign - and there have (to date) been no negative consequences for those involved, no matter how unreasonable their demands/actions.
The ultimate blame lies with government, as they have spent the last 20 years in 'bed' with the unions, and are not prepared to make the hard calls required.

On JOC, if his education did indeed end at 15, I think it absolutely reasonable to question his openess to ideas and concepts beyond the confines of his union remit. Perhaps, he is well-read, perhaps not. If it turns out that a person with his influence is not educated (either formally or informally), I for one reserve the right to question his suitability for high office.

Jack O'Connor's suitability for high office was democratically decided upon by the members of SIPTU who elected him General President.