Item lost in post

JMR

Just wondering what recourse I have if an item which was sent by registered post to me has not yet arrived after 2 months?

A supplier with whom I have had serious issues promises me that he has sent the item and is looking into why it hasn't arrived.
I do not want to contact An Post myself as I don't want to take responsibility for the problem.
I sent a letter 2 weeks ago to supplier notifying him that If I hadn't received the item within 2 weeks that I would pursue the matter through legal channels.
His receptionist phoned me to say she would look into it again.....

How long should I wait before giving up the parcel as lost?
At that stage can I claim compensation from the supplier?

Many thanks

I thought that registered (and/or insured) post covered the sender and not the intended recipient? I.e. if the item has gone missing then it is the sender who should be chasing it up with An Post? Your issue is with the supplier so you need to chase this up with them. I don't think that you necessarily have any right to contact An Post about it especially since you do not hold the registration (insurance?) documentation for the item.

If it was definitely registered, your supplier should be able to provide a tracking number. This can be checked with An Post. If it was signed for, they'll be able to tell you the name and if it wasn't collected (ie from the sorting office, if no one was at the delivery address), it would have been returned to sender fairly quickly - about 3 working days.

I thought that registered (and/or insured) post covered the sender and not the intended recipient? I.e. if the item has gone missing then it is the sender who should be chasing it up with An Post? Your issue is with the supplier so you need to chase this up with them. I don't think that you necessarily have any right to contact An Post about it especially since you do not hold the registration (insurance?) documentation for the item.

Fair point but I am the party inconvenienced by the non-arrival.
The sender doesn't seem to be doing much about it despite my phone calls and my attempt at a threatening letter....
Hence the question, do I have grounds to threaten the sender with legal action and if so what action could I take?
Is 2 months long enough to wait for delivery before taking action against the sender?

Is this a business to business or consumer to business issue? In the former case could you not just cancel the order, ditch the supplier, find an alternative supplier and challenge/ignore any invoice that they send you? In the latter the Small Claims Court may have jurisdiction if it comes to that.

It's not a part that I have ordered from a supplier.
The part belongs to me.
A replacement part was bought and fitted to my car by a local garage.
The car was under warranty so the dealer who sold the car had agreed to pay the costs of work carried out.
Two parts were fitted to the car.
The dealer, understandably wanted me to send the parts replaced, to him for testing to ensure they were indeed faulty.
I sent both parts by registered post and he received them a few days later.
Following testing he informed me that only one part was faulty and the local garage had made a mistake in diagnosing both parts as faulty.
'Fair enough' I said, 'reduce the bill by the cost of the non-faulty part and send me a cheque and return the non-faulty part to allow me to pursue the local garage.'
The cheque arrived but 2 months later I have still not received the part.

Any ideas on a way forward????

both sender or addressee can claim. visit an post website and fill ouy m58 form

Back