Is wife liable for my mortgage?

R

rizoff

my mortgage was taken out before i met my wife . i am now 12 yrs on in difficulty with payments and we cant afford payments with both our wages . the bank today told me my wife is liable to pay the mortgage as she is the main earner even though she isnt on the mortgage she earns €600 pr week i earn €125 pr week our out goings are large due to travel expences to her workplace over 100 miles round trip plus 2 kids no welfare support my wife is ready to pack her bags and leave as it is better for the kids to do so . my question is i took out mortgage ,i paid it while i had work ,she paid it when i had none we now have very little and debts are increasing bank will not re structure as they say i cant pay it . but my wife can pay it if its restructured why wont they do this ?

you need to check to see if her name is on the mortgage.if it is ,she is liable for the mortgage and so are you.if her name is not on the mortgage then she is not liable ,you are.as for the debts ,contact m.a.b.s. they will advice you. good luck,and dont worry they cant get blood out of a stone

. the bank today told me my wife is liable to pay the mortgage as she is the main earner even though she isnt on the mortgage

This is not true and the bank official who told you your wife is liable was lying. Bet you they didn't put that in writing ?

If you don't pay them for a couple of months it might make them more easy to negotiate with on a rescheduling. Can you put up the figures if you want more concrete advice.