Is under floor heating hard to regulate in real-world Irish conditions?

berlininvest

For those who have UFH installed, do you find that it is hard to regulate i.e. slow to heat up and slow to cool down?

Do you ever find that you are too cold in the house, or even that you are too hot and have to open windows to let out some of the heat from the UFH?

Do you find that heat is wasted because the house is kept warm even overnight when everyone is asleep?

Or do you find that if your system has plenty of thermostats and timers that you are able to manage it so that it is just the way you want it?

We have UFH in our house
I don't like it.
The floors are tiled and its about 15 years old.

The thermostats are not that responsive.
In fact we were banging on to the landlady for ages about them and she was convinved we didn't know how to use them. Turns out that the pins they control in the ?manifold were stuck and had to be replaced.

We all have to wear slippers as all our feet (and the dogs belly) were reacting to the warm floors.

The temperature here (France) in spring can vary alot day to day and I find the heating impossible to regulate.

On the plus side...even though it is on 24/7 since October it has only cost about €1000 in home heating oil since then.

Maybe a more modern system would be better.
Personally i wouldn't have it in my house.

the rate affect of external temperatures and weather conditions on the internal atmosphere of a building is down to the details and method of construction. Its hard to regulate any heating system if you have a leaky badly insulated and constructed dwelling.

if you have a construction type that allows moisture ingress, or temperature transfer etc then external conditions will definitely affect internal conditions...

irish construction methods over the last 50 years have been far from adequate. they have been based on mass modular production with very little regard for the end-user habitation. cavity wall, cavity block and mass concrete building all have problems associated with their ability to restrict external weather conditions from affecting internal conditions.

to answer your question, if you build to such a level that the ability of external condtions to affect internal conditions are reduced tothir minimum, then you can quite easily regulate your heating system and have a good rate of control over it. This means having very good u values of elements of construction (walls, floors, roofs, windows, doors etc) in order to restrict teh rate of heat loss from internal to external as much as possible. Also, you need to have a building as air tight as possible to restrict undesigned air infiltration into your dwelling thereby sucking your much valued and expensive heat out.

in dwellings as described above, the ability to prevent over heating becomes more and more pertinent.... you may not think it in ireland but this is actually true. the first passive house in ireland had some over heating issues before the balconies were constructed, as far as im lead to believe. Therefore the ability to cool a house should also be consdiered in the design and construction. this can be assessed through use of passive ventilation methods and / or denser materials to absorb and store the heat until its required when the sun goes down...

iv eheard that it take people about a year to get to grips with teh setting of UFh and heat pumps etc. this to me sends alarm bells that the actual building i allowing external climate conditions to affect the internal microclimate way too much...

I don't know Sid...our house in high up in the Alps and is extremely well insultated externally and built of mass concrete. Good double glazed window etc.

Big windows to the south side which heat the house alot though and cause us to feel a tad warm betimes.

I'm using UFH for 3 years now in 3000 sq foot house. 60 mil kingspan in double cavity block wall and 100 mil kingspan underneath the screed. UFH down stairs, rads upstairs. Very happy with it and 1.5 to 2 1300 litre oil fills per year. Bought tumber drier when we moved in and the manual is still in the drum!!!

Excellent posts, thanks! I had heard that UFH can be sore on the legs, sounded strange but Mommah seems to confirm that, and as for the poor dog...!

Infacta, what do you reckon is the secret to happiness with UFH ? What are the details of your system please?

Back