Is the 41% Exit Tax Soon to be Scrapped? Michael McGrath to Review

But the period of the audit was 2019-2022. Before 2022 it was the case that US ETFs were taxed under CGT. It's not clear from the post what disposals there were in 2022 that would fall under the new ambiguous guidance.

Why would there need to be disposals?

As we know, US ETFs must distribute dividends.

It therefore follows that there must have been dividends paid in 2022 post the change in the Revenue guidance.

These dividends must have been recorded in 2022 under general tax principles (income tax) and Revenue accepted the filing as submitted.

Therefore these US ETFs were accepted as taxed under general tax principles and not gross roll up.

QED

You said yourself that each ETF must be treated on a case-by-case basis. So in this case, and this case only, we can say this specific portfolio falls under CGT. We can't say the same for all US ETFs.

You said yourself that each ETF must be treated on a case-by-case basis. So in this case, and this case only, we can say this specific portfolio falls under CGT. We can't say the same for all US ETFs.

Correct as I expressly stated “these ETFs” I wasn’t making a generalisation.

Equally, not all U.K. investment trusts are CGT you can’t make generalisations unfortunately

I agree you weren't generalising, I was replying to this specific comment that we cannot generalise:

I agree you weren't generalising, I was replying to this specific comment that we cannot generalise:
I wasn't generalising either but reading between the lines the revenue auditors weren't going through his portfolio with a fine tooth comb to differentiate between different us domiciled etfs, sure they obviously don't have their own specific differentiating criteria either. It's alot easier just to accept the simpler original classification.

Do tell.

I’ve never heard of any situation where Revenue attempted to argue that any UK investment trust was not subject to general tax principles.

And I have it in good authority that the US ETFs I use I my client portfolios would be taxed and, ex post they were, under general tax principles but you saw fit to state that in “your opinion” they were not.

You can’t have it both ways.