Is signing off on a mortgage while abroad possible?

Enthrope

I am in the process of switching my mortgage from BOI to Ulster bank. I have moved to Bordeaux two weeks ago to spend three months in intensive French classes. I thought all the paper work and signing off would be complete before I left, but delays along the way mean the paperwork is only ready to sign now. My question is do I have to go back to Ireland to sign the paperwork in the solicitors office, or could it be posted to me here, signed and returned, or scanned in and signed digitally online? I live three hours away from Dublin airport making it quite a trek home, and last minute flights are expensive, so I'm hoping there's a way do it without going back to Ireland.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe doesn't have to be solicitor, but does have to get signed by witness. Unless of course there are other legal documents required if its not a straight switch

Thanks for the reply. There are no other legal documents, its just a straight switch.

Enthrope - it might be much easier just to contact your solicitor and find out their requirements for such. I don't think "e-signature" would work for them, but could be wrong (it has happened to me in the past :) ). If posting, then make sure that the post is registered.

Best of luck with the French classes - hope it works out well for you...

I have been in contact with my solicitor - he wants me to come back and sign them at his office. Surely in 2019 there's another way of doing it.

Have a look here to make sure you're going to be switching to the best rate by their ones.

Yeah I'm switching to the 2.3% fixed for two years. I've found this forum invaluable for advice, it's a great resource.

We’re in the process of switching to ulster bank and the solicitor posted the stuff to us to sign. Didn’t give us the option to come in and sign

Back