Is My PC dead?

shnaek

I got more RAM for my PC yesterday, and when I was installing it I noticed that there was an awful lot of dust in my PC box. The PC has been crashing a bit of late, so I thought I'd best clear the dust out.

There was a lot of dust on the processor fan, so when I went to remove it to clean it -the processor came out with it! I cleaned all the dust away anyway, and reinstalled the processor, but I must have pushed down too hard as I bent a couple of the pins. So I straightened the pins up again and put everything back together.

But now when I switch the machine on, my monitor stays in powersave mode. It doesn't seem to be 'seeing' the PC at all.

What do ye think? Have I damaged the processor, or could this be something else? Is it time to get a new PC?!

Have I damaged the processor, or could this be something else? Is it time to get a new PC?!

Probably, could be, Probably.

You dont say that type of processor it is. The newer ones tend not to have pins on the CPU, but pads and pins on the socket. Try reseating it again.

Probably, could be, Probably.

You dont say that type of processor it is. The newer ones tend not to have pins on the CPU, but pads and pins on the socket. Try reseating it again.

Will do. It's a celeron, about four years old.

In my experience. Sometimes but not always. Bad ram can prevent a machine from posting. Expecially an 4yr old Celeron machine which might not have the fancy motherboards we have now. As a matter of process. I'd always go back to the original config before trouble shooting. Then remove things one by one. If the OP didn't take static precautions he could have fired the motherboard. Thats less likely than bad or incompatible RAM. IMO.

Even if the RAM is a problem would the BIOS not be accessible?
I wouldn't think so.
In my experience. Sometimes but not always. Bad ram can prevent a machine from posting. . . I'd always go back to the original config before trouble shooting.
Ditto.
If the OP didn't take static precautions he could have fired the motherboard. Thats less likely than bad or incompatible RAM. IMO.
I never take static precautions and in 15 years tricking about with computers I've only ever killed two motherboards. My money's on the RAM.

I never take static precautions and in 15 years tricking about with computers I've only ever killed two motherboards. My money's on the RAM.

And the moral of the story is...take static precautions and you wouldn't have ever killed any motherboards.

I'll admit I never take static precautions and I've not killed anything due to static, in well over 15yrs of fixing all kinds of computers. Its still a possibility.

Something like a missmatch in RAM, CAS speeds can be a problem, especially with old Dells etc.

I wouldn't think so.Ditto.I never take static precautions and in 15 years tricking about with computers I've only ever killed two motherboards. My money's on the RAM.
Yeah - but the original poster reefed the CPU out and then seemingly just jammed it back in again! My money's on the CPU, socket and/or motherboard being physically damaged.

I've bent a few pins in my time, straighten them out with pilers and they worked ok.

It could any or all of the the above. Only way to know is to start over with the original config. If that doesn't work. Disconnect everything and then start adding each bit by bit.

And the moral of the story is...take static precautions and you wouldn't have ever killed any motherboards.
Well my propter hoc analysis was that I killed them due to static but I'm not really convinced of that. I always touch some metal or the PC chassis to discharge any static I may have before touching anything else.

Well my propter hoc analysis was that I killed them due to static but I'm not really convinced of that. I always touch some metal or the PC chassis to discharge any static I may have before touching anything else.

That should be sufficient, I do the same and have never had an issue, your post suggested you didn't even do that though.

Bending pins on CPU, and PC no longer works .....

No need for Sherlock Holmes here, yar PC is Lisbon Treatied ...

Bending pins on CPU, and PC no longer works .....

No need for Sherlock Holmes here, yar PC is Lisbon Treatied ...

Sherlock Holmes you're not. Bending pins is not irreversible. You can bend them back. Its possible to even solder pins. Modders do this a lot. At the end of the day its just a wire making an electrical contact.