Is it possible to get Radio 4 in Dublin?

PM1234

Would anyone how to pick up Radio 4 without having to use the internet. I looked through previous posts and thought I could get it from cable tv and rang NTL to ask them. They advised I could get BB1, BB2 and world service only. (I only have the basic NTL package).

I'm happy to buy a new radio with LW if its possible to pick it up. Would anyone have any suggestions.

(am unsure if this should be in IT forum - if so please let me know/move).

Thank you.

You can get it on LW 198, but the reception can be terrible. Try it out in your car near to where you want to receive it before you splash out on a radio.

I have good LW radio 4 reception ( as good as LW ever gets at a distance). I have noticed that a mobile phone charger nearby makes the reception terrible and unplugging it is a great way to improve it. I have ntl digital and radio 4 is on the package.
I wonder if there will be any broadcast of it on the digital radio network that is promised in the future.

Thanks for that. I tried LW 198 and thereabouts - got the frequency from googling - but to no avail. I thought it was a problem with my (very old) radio. I know that other people can get it in Dublin and I can get a new radio/aerial etc if its possible to get it or if you have any recommendations?

Thanks again.

i have a standard sony radio, I am sure that a quick test in the shop would be enough to see if it is up to it, just bring your AA batteries in case the shop are very tight!
I have no problem listening to radio 4 in limerick with the same radio.

Are you sure it is not available on the basic package in Dublin. I have listened to it for years on the basic package. I upgraded to the digital package this time last year, so if they say they don' t do it, they must have changed in the last year.

It was on 96.35

How do NTL tune it ie via the tv or another cable so you can hear it via your stereo?

How do NTL tune it ie via the tv or another cable so you can hear it via your stereo?
You need to connect a radio tuner (e.g. I use a separate tuner but you could use a receiver (combined amplifier/tuner) or something else) to the NTL radio (not TV) socket using a suitable co-axial cable and then you tune in there. Some TVs have a built-in radio tuners but I doubt that this is very common.

And they told me yesterday it wasn't available! Cheers folks.

Are the NTL radio sockets installed when they put in the tv socket or do they have to come out to do this? Can NTL provide the co-axial cable?

And they told me yesterday it wasn't available! Cheers folks.
I need to check later. I thought that it was available and that I had tuned it recently but I could be wrong.
Are the NTL radio sockets installed when they put in the tv socket
Yes - normally they install a box with two sockets - one for TV and one for radio. I have no idea about the internal wiring of the box as I have never investigated.
or do they have to come out to do this?
Do you not have such a box (e.g. on your wall, window sill etc.)?
Can NTL provide the co-axial cable?
It would surely be easier to just pick one up in your local hardware/electrical shop?

You can get the FM version of it over the Internet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

Handy for avoiding the cricket that they always broadcast only on LW over the summer.

Nothing against cricket, it's just too much of it is overwhelming.

I'm just after giving NTL a quick call and they listed lots of stations but not Radio 4. I was hoping to avoid using the internet for it.

I have the box and they told me this services both tv and radio. I will have to try and find out which cable suits it (am very clueless about these things but maybe somewhere like Dixons might know) and then see if I can get a radio tuner.

Thanks again for all your help and replies.

They don't always install the radio socket. They attempted to install a single tv socket in my house and I told him I needed it for radio and not tv.

Brendan

I can get BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5life, World Service, Ulster, 6 Music, 5life Extra & BBC7 on NTL digital.

Yes - just checked and it's on 96.35MHz for me right now.