Is it appropriate that the leader of the Western world is a smoker?

Duke of Marmalade

It is now coming out that president elect, Obamanation, smokes cigarettes. It just doesn't seem right to catch glimpses of the Presi having a puff outside the White House. Or when he is visiting Gordon to see him outside No. 10 chatting up the secretaries. At least if he visits Ireland Brian will keep him company.

He's trying to quit apparently but maybe taking charge of america in economic meltdown with the whole world also looking to him for salvation is not the easiest time to be giving up the smokes. He will be probably be on a 100 a day after the first week

I'm surprised he smokes as I thought he was a fitness fanatic

Don't think Brian (is that Lenihan or cowan?),well either have much chance of quitting in 2009 either

I don't think it matters at all whether he is a smoker or not.

There are potentially many much worse habits/traits to be worried about in any leader.

I remember getting an email saying which president would be your preference option one womaniser and whisky drinker
option two opiate user
option three non drinker non smoker non drug user

Option three was Hitler.....

I don't think it's really relevant. Surprising, but not relevant. There are worse things he could do in my opinion.

I would find it a bit odd to say the least if we saw a picture of him smoking but I imagine there's not much chance of that...should add that he just looks so fit, I'm surprised he smokes.

It's nobody's business but his own. If that's the worse thing he does....

Ok, ok, of course it is not a mortal sin. How many of Churchill's ministers died from secondary smoking?

It's just that these days smokers are so humiliated. Do we really want sneaky Sun paparrazzi pics of Obie chewing a fag outside No. 10?

Ok, ok, of course it is not a mortal sin. How many of Churchill's ministers died from secondary smoking?

It's just that these days smokers are so humiliated. Do we really want sneaky Sun paparrazzi pics of Obie chewing a fag outside No. 10?

Only one President was caught smoking in the bush...

I remember getting an email saying which president would be your preference option one womaniser and whisky drinker
option two opiate user
option three non drinker non smoker non drug user

Option three was Hitler.....

Was going to post this. Sure many leaders had bad traits. JFK was a womanizer and adulterer but never a word said while Clinton nearly got impeached!
And of course the examples of Roosevelt and Churchill smoking, drinking and drugs also.

Of course Hitler was well known for anti-smoking and 1930's Germany was well ahead of the rest of Europe in anti-smoking laws for public places and advertisements.
OP you don't want to judge a leader on just one thing. And this news didn't just come out, it was well known that Obama smoked for years

What's all this 'Obie' and 'Obamanation' rubbish? Can we stop fawning over him?

What's all this 'Obie' and 'Obamanation' rubbish? Can we stop fawning over him?

Maybe we need something in these depressing times that might give us a little light at the end of the tunnel. Anything has to be better than what went before him.

It's strange actually that he wasn't persuaded to quit by the 'image maker' types...smoking is seen as quite "lower class" in the US.