Is Ireland out of touch regarding taxation / benefits?

But even when it comes to making hard decisions it doesn't cut welfare payments, it might tinker with them reducing access or stopping increases, look what happened during the financial crisis. Whereas they cut infrastructure spending completely and decimate the construction industry, also explains the severe infrastructure deficits in the country
The choice will be taken out of the govt's hand if Trump is successful. His policy of "Make America Great Again" has set his sights on a lower corporation tax rate for industries who locate in the US. We are becoming an attractive location for Economic migrants because of our welfare system and once in Ireland some will be reluctant to move.

Personally I think there are some very hard decisions coming and they will be forced to be taken whether the politicians want to take them or not (the Trokia springs to mind). If infrastructure (specifically technologically necessary ones) are not invested in we wont have the income or corporation tax to fund our current welfare system and cuts will be forced on recipients.

Increasing income tax levels to replace lost corporation tax revenues will in a lot of instances will be a disincentive to working if take home pay is compared to welfare payments for individuals in similar situations etc.

And this expected from a government who cant even do the bleeding obvious and replace the TV License Fee with a household media charge ?????

And this expected from a government who cant even do the bleeding obvious and replace the TV License Fee with a household media charge ?????

Define a household. Do thruples count? And would one "household's" TV licence cover one's holiday home too?

Last edited:
My FIL has been on JSA for twenty years, he has never seriously looked for a job, as he doesn't want a job.

His nixer brings in 40k gross.

He has received 100,000 in third-level fees and grants.

As he says to me "why work?"

He recently paid 46,200 cash for a car.
If the above is true, I expect to hear about this in various news outlets when the fraud investigation has concluded.

The MIL also, IMHO, defrauded welfare, as she was on DA for decades.

In my opinion, she's not disabled.

She had cancer maybe 30 years ago, would that qualify you for DA?

They have both recently moved onto State Pensions, AFAIK.

Great country.

thejournal.ie/pay-related-maternity-benefit-heather-humphreys-6449794-Jul2024/

Relevant story. Not sure what it’s worth given it’s not proposed to happen as part of this budget.

Will probably make the next manifesto and at best be 5 years away, too far for anyone in a position of thinking about kids now.

Be interesting to see if there is any opposition to it. I guess it would be a saver for the big MNC that already offer full mat pay. It would save the public sector bill but that’s just moving money around.

Something I didn’t think about is how the current situation can make a women who has just given birth financially dependent on her partner for the first time in her life. Works out fine in a lot of situations I’m sure but not ideal.

So it looks like the introduction of pay-related JSB is or will lead to demands for other social insurance benefits to be pay related?

Maternity/paternity
Illness benefit?
Carers benefit?

Plus with TCA, isn't the State Pension moving further towards linking the benefit to the working life?

The only issue is that the most important benefit for most people with prsi is that they get a state pension at the end of it , now finally based on their contributions. If the state is now going to be paying out these enhanced payments for jobseekers and maternity, will it undermine the main fund that pays the pensions. Will a future government in a crises then restrict access to state pension even for those that have paid into it all their lives

So it looks like the introduction of pay-related JSB is or will lead to demands for other social insurance benefits to be pay related?

Maternity/paternity
Illness benefit?
Carers benefit?

Plus with TCA, isn't the State Pension moving further towards linking the benefit to the working life?

A basis payment for everyone regardless. A higher payment for those that have paid into the system. Hard to argue with that. The value of PRSI / tax is that it’s mandatory so
The only issue is that the most important benefit for most people with prsi is that they get a state pension at the end of it , now finally based on their contributions. If the state is now going to be paying out these enhanced payments for jobseekers and maternity, will it undermine the main fund that pays the pensions. Will a future government in a crises then restrict access to state pension even for those that have paid into it all their lives

Additional benefits for working people may lead to additional support for prsi and people willing to
Pay morebb

Back