Is Bitcoin like gold?

You've lost me Duke. What messenger have I 'shot'?
Ok, sort of apologies. I thought your rather irrelevant post was an attack on the SEC. It seems you were merely pointing out that there are other bad guys out there besides the 17,000 cults. But maybe I am still misreading the point of the link.

Ok, sort of apologies. I thought your rather irrelevant post was an attack on the SEC. It seems you were merely pointing out that there are other bad guys out there besides the 17,000 cults. But maybe I am still misreading the point of the link.
You said that you hadn't seen this level of disclaimer in the Prospectuses of conventional products. The link identifies a warning issued by the SEC to a company behind an oil futures product - on the basis of them not having a disclaimer highlighting not only the possibility that it could got to zero - but that it could go into negative territory as oil futures did in 2020.

You said that you hadn't seen this level of disclaimer in the Prospectuses of conventional products. The link identifies a warning issued by the SEC to a company behind an oil futures product - on the basis of them not having a disclaimer highlighting not only the possibility that it could got to zero - but that it could go into negative territory as oil futures did in 2020.
So I don’t see your point. I thought you were arguing that the warning that BTC could go to zero was equivalent to warning that aspirin could kill you. Your link seems to suggest that when they require a warning that BTC could go to zero, they mean it, it is not a mere platitude.

You must be mistaken, due to the iNtRiNsIc vAlUe of oil this is impossible.
Clearly I am - and the reason I must be is that I have not seen pages upon pages of moral outrage at the thought of oils iNtRiNsIc vAlUe going on vacation in 2020. I thought maybe it was at a conference in El Salvador or it could have gotten covid and was laid up for a few weeks - but if everyone was ok with oil back then, I suppose it was there the whole time and I was just confused...

So I don’t see your point. I thought you were arguing that the warning that BTC could go to zero was equivalent to warning that aspirin could kill you. Your link seems to suggest that when they require a warning that BTC could go to zero, they mean it, it is not a mere platitude,

You've suggested that the SEC is more concerned about the disclaimers that accompany btc-related derivative products more-so than conventional derivative products. As per the link, that's not the case. Other than that, you're bigging up something that's not the big deal you're making of it. That is my point Duke.

The OP declared the matter of bitcoin acting as a hedge or digital gold 'settled' last Thursday. As all hell has broken loose in the World over the course of the past week, bitcoin has outperformed gold.

It has in no way matured as an asset but by the same token, it certainly can't be written off in this way any time soon, either.

Last edited:
Back