Is anyone else getting bitten by mosquitos?

aquila said:
I'm in the west and have accumulated a number of nasty bites over the past week while gardening. I didn't see the culprits, but they are definitely not midges as I get a different kind of allergic reaction from them. :confused:

There are many different forms of midges. I am also in west and in countryside and I get attacked each summer by tiny black midges. I dont remember seeing these kind of midges when I was a young lad but I lived in a town then.They are usually gone by the time you notice the bite but they are aggressive little buggers. I am near bog and a lake so its midgey heaven. I use mozzie/insect spray (DEET) I've had for years and it works but I am sure its bad for me in some other way...

It's midge heaven here as well as I'm also near a bog and a lake. :( Of course I can't be a hundred percent sure that these aren't midges, but the bites are sore smallish lumps as opposed to the huge flat white one's I usually get.

As it happens, a relative of mine has been to hospital this week due to a severe reaction to a mysterious insect bite. He's well used to being eaten alive by midges, but he doctors aren't sure what caused this problem.

Mosquito - Muiscit Anopheles maculipennis - 6mm body length. There are eighteen species of mosquito in Ireland. The females of a few of these species can (and do) bite humans. They breed in standing water such as drains, ponds and unemptied jars of water in the back garden. While some of our Irish species are capable of carrying malaria, winter temperatures up to now have been low enough to ensure that this doesn't happen. from the "Mooney goes wild" supplement in R.T.E. guide.

There ye go :D

When we were in Trinidad we used a mix of Citronella Oil and Johnsons Baby Oil mixed to a pale straw colour. No bites even when cruising the Caroni Swamp. (Didn't keep the cayman away mind!)

There is a particular breed of midge/mosquito that can be found in the Malahide/Portmarnock/Swords estuary area as the former Lord Talbot (owner of Malahide Castle) imported some plants for his gardens and the mosquitos came too. It gives a far larger allergic reaction than normal!

We normally keep all the windows & doors closed at night. Then only go out in the dark, via a dark room - i.e. only exit/enter when the lights are turned off. It prevents the pesky beggars from getting attracted to the house. Likewise, we only turn on a light in the room when the blinds & curtains are closed.

When going out at night, we normally wear long loose clothing & don't sit outside in the damp. Stay away from stagnant water as somebody else has mentioned.

Re my hives (!): it's definitely a seasonal thing. I get them every year at the turn of Spring and Autumn. I have worried about all the allergy stuff down through the years but could never identify anything causing it as I eat all the usual suspects year-round: tomatoes, nuts, dairy, oranges etc. and don't generally have sensitive skin (to make up, washing powder etc). It might possibly be pollen-related or similar to a heat-rash but in any event there's little you can do to eliminate the trigger (the climate!) and treatment for the symptoms is usually not great either. There's loads about hives as seasonal allergies on the net.

Wish the bloody weather would settle down because they won't go away until it does. :(

Rebecca

woods said:
I am a bit of a health freak so I do not like to apply any product to my body that may contain harmfull chemicals. I go to Florida a lot and for the first few years they had me destroyed.
I have got a little battery operated gadget that is about 2 inches by 1 inch and about a quarter of an inch thick. It vibrates at the same frequency as one of their predators and they leave me alone. I no longer have the packaging so can not tell who makes it but if you come across it in a store then you should pick one up.
Have you not heard how deadly RF radiation is! :eek:

Hello

Aldi's Sunday Specials (to-morrow 3rd June) include Citronella Oil and Citronella candles.

Cheers

Justsally

Back