Irish non contributory state pension question

Hi just wondering if and how this was resolved? Slight difference in contributory Irish pension and less of a UK state pension

Just wondering what the outcome was for the original poster as I too have a similar query?

Can someone be successfully in receipt of a contributory state pension (widows) from Ireland and also claim a small UK state pension €67a wk from when they themselves worked in the UK. Do the UK notify Ireland?

As you have contributed to both Irish and UK pensions you are entitled to benefit from both countries.

I don't see any reason why you need to notify Ireland unless you have other income which combined with the pensions would put you in the tax net. In that case you would need to talk to Revenue

I am nearly sure you still have to submit a tax return every year even if no tax is due.

Not sure if this question can be asked on this thread but here goes anyway.

Does receipt of a small UK pension and fuel allowance by the husband qualify an elderly couple for a UK medical card which can be used in this republic if their income here is more than the qualifying limit ?

The answer is that it may do, depending on his/their employment history in Ireland.

Best thing to do is to apply for one and see what comes back.

Can someone be successfully in receipt of a contributory state pension (widows) from Ireland and also claim a small UK state pension €67a wk from when they themselves worked in the UK. Do the UK notify Ireland?
Don’t get confused with the person who started the thread. You are in a different category. Contributory. So because you paid tax, Prsi etc you are entitled to pensions from each country you worked. One is not offset by the other. But you do have to declare them to revenue. Have a chat with citizens advice or look at their website.

Not sure if this question can be asked on this thread but here goes anyway.

Does receipt of a small UK pension and fuel allowance by the husband qualify an elderly couple for a UK medical card which can be used in this republic if their income here is more than the qualifying limit ?
Never heard of this. But if you’re living in Ireland then depending on your income you might be entitled to an Irish medical card.m

As the OP has been on an Irish Pension for many years I suspect he is over 70 and therefore he would be entitled to an Irish medical card.

A UK medical card is available to Irish people (living in Ireland) regardless of income to those who have no income subject to PRSI in Ireland.

It is actually an Irish Medical card obtained under EU regulations to pensioners who have worked in the UK and therefore have a UK pension. The application is very straight forward for those who qualify.
Irish med. card application form.

Now I get it. Does Brexit affect this I wonder. (not for those who already have it one presumes).

Thank to you both and please accept apologies for my late gratitude.
It appears from what you say Black Sheep that the "retired" elderly couple in my question, do indeed qualify for an Irish Medical card regardless of income from two State Pensions ( Teacher and Garda). They are in receipt of a tiny UK pension from his employment there way back in the 50s which seems to meet the qualifying criteria?
I doubt ( Bronte) if Brexit can inhibit this 'right' unless Borris goes on a solo run. He's well capable.
Thanks again for your answers.

Back