Irish domiciled MSCI World ETF

Pieface

Hi, how do I go about investing in the above? I have an account with Degiro and Davy. I cannot figure the name of such an ETF. Thanks.

https://www.justetf.com/en/how-to/msci-world-etfs.html contains loads of them.

In Degiro, login, click search, type msci world and they're all there e.g.
ISHARES CORE MSCI WORLD UCITS ETF
IE00B4L5Y983. Usual warnings about tax treatment, UCITS gross roll up etc. If you don't know what I mean by that please read the ETF section and it's been discussed ad infinitum.

Irish domiciled MSCI World ETF you would imagine with that title it would be good for irish investors but no, thats the irish taxation system for you. They bend over backwards to get these funds to domicile in ireland and tax them less than they would in other countries, thats the reason ireland regarded as a tax haven . Its almost a brass plaque arrangement the same as you get in gibralter or the channel islands and for which ireland has attracted an awful lot of flak.
Then you have investors from all over the continent investing in this but not irish investors because the irish government then goes and taxes the hell out of them way more than in any other area.

Makes sense that it wouldn’t be free now that you say it, wonder what the actual cost is. From that thread you linked, the poster is still suggesting you hedge but do it separately. Guessing for the average Joe putting a few hundred a month into ETFs, hedging separately is probably not practical.

Hedging is not free and paying such fees over the long haul will impact your returns. I tend to treat the hedge independent of the investment. If I expect to draw down say 30k this year, then I'll hedge that rather than the portfolio.

Back