Ireland state pension entitlement

terrontress

I was resident in Ireland from 2000 to 2008 and am an Irish (NI) citizen and passport holder.

During this period I paid PRSI, income tax etc as a PAYE employee.

I believe that in order to qualify for state pension, I need to have made 10 years of PRSI contributions. I have had a property rented out and am paying income tax, but not PRSI.

Is it possible for me to retrospectively pay two years of PRSI contribution to make me eligible for an Irish state pension when the time comes?

This seems to be something to do with prsi when unemployed. I’m not unemployed and have never claimed unemployment benefit.

Perhaps a read through the rules and regulations on this on Citizens Information might give some help.

This section does shout out to me that you may not qualify to make the contributions if you last paid PRSI in 2008

Rules​

To be eligible to make voluntary contributions you must:
  • Have at least 520 PRSI contributions paid under compulsory insurance in either employment or self-employment
  • Apply to make your voluntary contribution within 60 months (5 years) of the end of the last completed tax year (contribution year) during which you last paid compulsory insurance or you were last awarded a credited contribution. (Since February 2017, the time limit for making voluntary contributions was extended from 12 months to 60 months.)
  • Agree to pay voluntary contributions from the start of the contribution week that follows the week in which you leave compulsory insurance

It might be a good idea for you to contact Dept of Social Protection and check with them or ring Citizens Information.

Back