Iraqi death toll now estimated to be 100,000

Re: Fonts

Sorry cerb. I just reckon that by shoutingyou have a better chance of getting your point across.:lol

Re: Fonts

YD, are you Madonna as in the singer or the fallen Madonna with the big boobies?

You realise of course that now I know YD and Madonna are one and the same I can never agree with anything you say again!! ;)

Re: The real me and a bit of extrapolation

Singer? Big Boobs? Sorry Mister P, you must have me confused with someone else. :D

Reverting to topic, I thought I would do a bit of extrapolation myself. Anybody remember "Shock and Awe" - a truly frightening display of very long range bombardment of a city with 5 million souls. And yet so far as I can recall all that Comical Ali could show for it was a handful of collateral casualties. Now there have been around 500 days since then. Occasional bursts of bombardment but now at close range and certainly nothing on the scale of S & A. I reckon, by extrapolation of course, that topside there has been 500 collateral casualties in the Iraqi campaign.

BTW p, I see the real Mr P is talking in Ennis this evening, will you be there?

Re: OBL gets Bush elected

As I predicted in another thread OBL's pathetic intervention dramatically turned the scales towards Dubya.

Asimov suggested in that thread that this might be OBL's Machiavellian objective (to encourage AQ recruits), and that may indeed be so.

However, one thing is for sure, the result will have gutted the OBL fan club from Palestine to Pakistan and here on AAM and the man they have to blame is their hero.

YD

However, one thing is for sure, the result will have gutted the OBL fan club from Palestine to Pakistan and here on AAM and the man they have to blame is their hero.
I don't get you there YD. Do you mean that the anti Bush camp are pro OBL? That's a bit far fetched even for you.
Asimov suggested in that thread that this might be OBL's Machiavellian objective (to encourage AQ recruits), and that may indeed be so.
I agree that his rational was to get GWB re-elected but more than just encouraging new AQ recruits his aim is to establish international fault lines between the Muslim and Christian worlds and then widen them into a world wide conflict. He knows that GWB's actions in Iraq and elsewhere help to polarize moderate Muslims and only when the hoped for ground swell takes place can his true aims come to pass. He sees the dominance of the west over the Islamic world in economic, military and popular cultural terms and he seeks to turn the tables and he will kill as many thousand, or tens thousands or millions of people as he has to to get what he wants. A key player and important tool in his plan is GWB. That's why he will be a happy man tonight.
That's why many anti OBL people are also anti GWB as they see him playing into OBL's hands.

Ok, purple, the AAM slur was a bit below the belt. :eek:

I think you are right on the assessment of OBL's strategy and I think you are also right that he is one happy man tonight.

But I think that I am right that OBL supporters are gutted by the re-election of Bush. Also gutted, by definition, are the AAM anti Bush brigade and I am just pointing out the paradox that the man both these anti Bush constituencies have to blame for their desolation is none other than OBL himself.

By contrast, Bush supporters (of which I am not one, I wanted the pro abortion Catholic to win) can feel a deep sense of gratitude to OBL.

I wanted the pro abortion Catholic to win
Good one, I must remember that.
You left out the pro gay marriage, married to a billionaire, vote for me cause I'm boring and crap but he's worse bit. That may have had a bit to do with it as well.
It's easy to forget that we have a very anti-Bush media in this country (gasp! us anything but balanced and high-brow; Never!!!)

That's why many anti OBL people are also anti GWB as they see him playing into OBL's hands.

I've already said it...but precisely purple. Precisely.

It's easy to forget that we have a very anti-Bush media in this country

It's not just here. Same in most European cities.

we are in danger of covering old and well trodden ground here.

OBL gets Bush elected

It is very very scary that Bush has been re-elected as he is every bit as "fundamentalist" as Al Quaida. The other danger is Bush's contempt for the Kyoto agreement. The omnipotence of this oil-man ("God is on our side!") extends to condoning USA levels of environmental pollution. Odds-on whether terrorism or melting icecap gets us first. "God bless America".

Bush has been re-elected as he is every bit as "fundamentalist" as Al Quaida
I can't go with that Marie. While I accept the thrust of your post I think you thrust too far (no dirty remarks please, you know what I mean!).

You might like to read the previous posts as you're just covering old ground.

I haven't read this whole topic but I'm surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned the IraqBodyCount website which aims to collate a list of civilian casualties whose deaths have been vouched for. The current figures are a minimum of 14284 and a maximum of 16419. They have also issued a press release dealing with the Lancet figures and their approach to estimating the death count which may be of relevance here.

I reckon, by extrapolation of course, that topside there has been 500 collateral casualties in the Iraqi campaign.

How do you calculate how many birth defects as a direct result of Depleted Uranium that there are going to be?
For example, people over in Vietnam are still suffering the effects of agent orange.

Consider as well that for every death, there will be many more people with serious injuries. People missing limbs, paralysed , faces burnt off etc.

How do you calculate how many birth defects as a direct result of Depleted Uranium that there are going to be?
I read that the h-bomb testing in the pacific in the 50's, 60's and 70's have killed about 55 million people (cancer, birth defects etc). The French and British etc knew all about the dangers of fallout at the time. It was in a CND leaflet years ago.

Re: numbers

100,000 dead? A bit fishy to me.
[broken link removed]

I don't understand this. You say that 100,000 dead is a 'bit fishy', and then you cite a source to back up the claim (admittedly with a rather large confidence interval)

Well according to this (itemised) database, its between 14000 and 17000, NOT 100,000.

Iraq Body Count

Piggy quotes this site, so therefore it MUST be right.

Asimov - they are recorded deaths. The 100000 figure came from a study to gauge actual deaths. They are not mutually exclusive.

Back