Investing in Irish Banks

sally2007

I'm thinking of investing some money in a fund with Bank of Ireland Life but the top ten holdings in the fund seem to be heavily weighted towards irish banks. Given that there is a lot of talk at the moment about banks coming under pressure due to over exposure to the mortgage market - is it wise to invest in this type of fund???

Something similar with me. Looking at investing in ISEQ ETF but again very much weighted with the financial situations and am wondering the same.

If I were you I would stay away from the ISEQ, its had an incredible run, invest internationally, ask for independent advice

Or if investing in financial institutions doesn't suit your specific needs then look for a different fund with different asset composition.

If I were you I would stay away from the ISEQ, its had an incredible run, invest internationally, ask for independent advice

The ISEQ has seriously underperformed in 2007 so far, could be a reasonable entry point...

however the ISEQ has seriously overperformed over the last four years, whereas germany and japan have seriosly underperformed for a decade, the ISEQ is long due a few lean years.

Back