Invest in a Garage

CoffeeBrew

A rather grim looking garage is for sale in a somewhat drab suburb of Dublin

[broken link removed]=

When stuff like this crops up I like to - just for fun - compare what you get for around the same money (converted to CDN dollars) in another city I know - Vancouver Canada.

252k Euro is about 378k Canadian

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26Page%3d1%26vs%3d1%26rlt%3d%26cp%3d%26pt%3d0%26mp%3d375000-0-0%26mrt%3d-1-0-0%26Beds%3d0-0%26Baths%3d0-0%26f%3d%26ft%3dall%26o%3dA%26of%3d1%26ps%3d10%26ptgid%3d1%26aid%3d6568%26MapURL%3d%253fAreaID%253d6568&Mode=0&PropertyID=3848365

Amazing thing also is that Vancouver is supposed to be a very expensive area and is considered by some to be in a major property bubble !!

What would they think of Dublin :eek: !!!!!

CoffeeBrew said:
a somewhat drab suburb of Dublin

I'm sure the good people of Kimmage will appreciate your reasoned and thought-out assesssment of their home town.

Everything is relative

Here is a nice one is Barbados and close to the airport

[broken link removed]

So not too far of a commute to Dublin City Centre when new airport Luas is up and running

[email protected]

stuart said:
Everything is relative
I suppose many things are. For example, relative to a few years ago, house price growth in Ireland has slowed very dramatically.

stuart said:
Here is a nice one in Barbados

Barbados is a third world country. Hopefully there aren't too many people living below the poverty line there but I think you'll often find that things are relatively cheap in these parts of the world.

CoffeeBrew said:
Barbados is a third world country. Hopefully there aren't too many people living below the poverty line there but I think you'll often find that things are relatively cheap in these parts of the world.

[broken link removed]

Look at some of the figures there, GDP per capita, life expectancy, unemployment, infant mortality etc. looks far from a third world country to me.

dam099 said:
[broken link removed]

Look at some of the figures there, GDP per capita, life expectancy, unemployment, infant mortality etc. looks far from a third world country to me.

You're referring me to the CIA website ? You're not wearing a black suit and sunglasses are you ?

Seriously though, I don't think the CIA designate first, second or third world countries. I think their mandate is elsewhere ;)

Take a look at the world map or the list of countries on here:

Magoo said:
I'm sure the good people of Kimmage will appreciate your reasoned and thought-out assesssment of their home town.

Thanks for your reasoned and thought-out analysis of my post in which you finally concluded that you don't like the word "drab".

p.s. Kimmage is my home town !

CoffeeBrew said:
You're referring me to the CIA website ? You're not wearing a black suit and sunglasses are you ?

Seriously though, I don't think the CIA designate first, second or third world countries. I think their mandate is elsewhere ;)

Take a look at the world map or the list of countries on here:

I know the CIA don't designate them, I was saying from the statistics listed there Barbados does not seem like a 3rd world country. The site you quote is vague and states that the pure definition of third world (in which they do include Barbados) does not necessarily correspond with the usage of the term today. Your post seemed to imply negative connotations to Barbados being a third world country.

In fact according to the UN Human Deveopment Index, Barbados ranks 29th in the world and is included in the "High human development" category, hardly what most people regard these days as third world.

[broken link removed]

Back