Interview Preparation

Re: Interview help

ClubMan said:
I didn't think that it was illegal to ask such questions although it is illegal to discriminate . Obviously proving a link between the two might be difficult though!
Any HR manager will tell you absolutely NOT to ask questions about marriage, children or other discrimination grounds. If the interviewee doesn't get the job, these questions would strengthen any case they might take for compensation re. discrimination.

I'm amazed at Kiddo's story above! Kiddo - What kind of company (sector, size) was this?

Obviously it's prudent not to ask such questions but there are no laws against asking them as far as I know.

It was an accountancy practice..three partners and about 30 staff.

It was the junior partner who interviewed me. A right smarmy git he was too and I took an instant dislike to him anyway but even more-so with his choice of questions. It transpired early in the interview that he was buddys with an ex-colleague of mine which did nothing to improve my impression of him

He actually couldn't see why the questions he asked me were unacceptable and actually argued with the recruitment agent when she took him to task about it. He couldn't understand why I didn't want to go back for the second interview.

I am amazed by all this talk of engagement rings!

I'm gay, so at my next interview should I:

a) wear a wedding ring to indicate I'm straight and married
b) wear a white gold wedding ring to indicate I'm gay and married
c) wear no ring
d) wear a neutral ring on the 4th finger of my right hand to indicate I'm gay, unmarried - just in case you are interested
e) sit on my hands and hope my eyebrows don't give it away

Chamar said:
b) wear a white gold wedding ring to indicate I'm gay and married
Myself and my wife wear white gold wedding rings and neither of us is gay.

ClubMan said:
Myself and my wife wear white gold wedding rings and neither of us is gay.

You're just ahead of the times Clubman. They're all the rage for gay unions I hear...

I went for an interview in the UK recently and I was asked was a married or in a relationship. Since the job means moving to the UK I think they were taking a genuine interest in my re-location and my circumstances.

Hi, just wanted to update you. I have contacted a professional interview coach who is going to work on my cv, and give me 2 x 1hour intensive sessions to coach me with what to say at the interview. I'm delighted. It's money I don't really have at the moment, but it's an investment if it works!!
All I have to do now is pass the apptitude tests, whats the best idea, just read a load of books? Does anyone have any tips or recommendations?
Thanks for all your help, you really put me on the right track