Internet tv - Wireless

cmalone

Looking at options for internet tv. See some ‘boxes’ on retailer websites. Does anyone know how it works and if It’s easy to install ?

The likes of Eir and Vodafone offer subscription IPTV services, TV over the internet essentially, so these rely on your wired internet service.

There are a number of others advertising 'dodgy' boxes that stream content from providers like Sky. These operate by a third party subscribing to the TV services offered, and then streaming that content over the web to multiple other parties, charging them all a smaller fee. These are illegal and so we won't be discussing them here.

I wasn’t talking about any illegal service I Hope. I see boxes for sale in power city , DID, etc. Has anyone used one ? Don’t want a subscription service

I see boxes for sale in power city

cmalone - have you a link to these boxes? Wonder are they just saorview / satellite boxes you are referring to. Can better advise then in relation to installation etc. Most new TVs have built-in decoders for such, so would not need a separate box. Anyway, post the link and we can have a look.

Didn’t really like promoting any shop on here - but if it helps with knowing what I’m talking about - check sample here
[broken link removed]

And also
[broken link removed]

Those Android TV boxes are perfectly legal when used as media centers to play content you already own, or stream from services such as Netflix, RTE Player, etc.. They do not offer any ability to tune in Saorview or satellite channels. If that's all you want, and you don't have a smart TV, they'll do the job, but the majority of them are poor quality, with fiddly interfaces and poor remotes.

However, they can be configured with appropriate apps to subscribe to illegal IPTV services.

As per Leo's post, these can be used legally but can also be used to stream/download material illegally :eek:

I've had a few of these boxes. They're good when they work, but painfully frustrating when they don't. Mine now runs so slow I've given up on it. It runs the same Android system and has the same quadcore processor as the one advertised in Powercity. However I think mine was €35 on ebay as opposed to the €89 Powercity are charging.

You could just get an Amazon Firestick and access the players you need from that, for a lesser price, way better functionality and no subscription. You can also "hack" the stick to download apps which aren't available on Amazons App Store.

Thanks for advice. Sounds complicated. Would we be better getting a satellite dish to get the extra saorview channels ?
We had Netflix via the virgin subscription. Unsure what technology we would need to have it now - without having the virgin package.

any smart tv will have a netflix app, alternatively get an apple tv box.

a dish with a free sat saorvciew combo box is your best bet for irish and uk free to air.

Would we be better getting a satellite dish to get the extra saorview channels
Depending on where you are, this can be from €150 + for the installation of the satellite dish which will allow you to get the FreeToAir channels (which are the English channels + more (bbc/itv/etc).

The saorview channels are not available from the sat dish, so you will need an aerial for the Saorview channels (RTE/Virgin Media).

Depending on your TV, there could be decoders for FreeToAir channels and also Saorview channels - otherwise you will need set-top box to receive the channels, from your aerial and your sat dish.

You can get most of that functionality with a chromecast and streaming netflix etc from your phone?

you don't need anything but a chromecast and apps on your phone or tablet or stream from a laptop.
can get netflix, rte player, virgin media player & all channel 4 channels this way. very simple.

There are a lot of options available - all depending on your end goal :) There are companies that will install for you, depending on what you require, so let us know what area you are in and no doubt someone would have a recommendation for saorview / satellite installation. Or as mentioned, you can stream from your phone to the TV via chromecast.

Hi all. Thank you. I am Lucan- bear Adamstown. Not an expert on any technology.

Have a Normende smart tv. Around 5 years old. Model NM40272DLED if that means something ...

got the ‘blazer hd705’ for saorview at power city last week. Works perfect with indoor window aerial ...

Back