Internal door locks

stobear

I notice is a new house we are about to move into, that all internal doors do not have a locking mechanism. I never noticed this when viewing the show house and only spotted it yesterday. I was wondering if this is standard on new builds?

What sort of locking mechanism? Most houses I've been in have internal door handles which include a locking mechanism.

All internal doors only have the latch to keep the door closed ie. there is no way of locking the door using a key. I know its easy enough to replace them with a lock but wondering if this was due to any new legislation (fire?).

I prefer to be able to lock all internal doors from the hallway (in most houses) so that if an intruder gets in then they are 'stuck in that room' and cant roam around the house easily

stobear said:
All internal doors only have the latch to keep the door closed ie. there is no way of locking the door using a key.

Most of the houses I've been in have lockable handles like [broken link removed].

Yeah my house is the same and I never noticed it until a while after I moved in. The only doors in the whole house that lock are the bathroom doors. I am the second phase of my estate and in the first phase all internal doors lock so not sure if the builders moved on to a money saving device or whether or not there was a change of legislation.

It's quite annoying not being able to lock your doors

Back